The Student Room Group

i have no clue what i want to study at uni

I do maths english and history at A levels, and I'm really regretting it because I cant apply to most stem subjects. I literally have no clue what I'd like to study, and I feel like most essay based subjects are pointless because of the lack of jobs you could go in afterwards. It's honestly really stressful because I'm supposed to be writing my personal statements and applying to unis in a couple of months but I have no idea what I want to study!!
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Original post by lara8010
I do maths english and history at A levels, and I'm really regretting it because I cant apply to most stem subjects. I literally have no clue what I'd like to study, and I feel like most essay based subjects are pointless because of the lack of jobs you could go in afterwards. It's honestly really stressful because I'm supposed to be writing my personal statements and applying to unis in a couple of months but I have no idea what I want to study!!

You say you "cant apply to most stem subjects". Does that mean that you have an interest in studying a STEM subject at university, if you could?

There are some specific STEM-focussed foundation courses for applicants with good A level grades but in the "wrong" subjects.

For example, see this page on The University of Manchester's web site which starts, "Are you interested in a career in engineering or one of the natural sciences, but don't have the appropriate qualifications for first year entry?".

Of perhaps this page on the University of Southampton's web site which starts, "The Science Foundation Year can be your route onto a science degree at Southampton if you haven’t studied the necessary subjects to meet our direct entry requirements."
Reply 2
I do maths english and history at A levels, and I'm really regretting it because I can't apply to most stem subjects.

Yes you can.

There are Science Foundation degrees at several top Unis for those with good grade expectations but in the 'wrong' subjects.

Southampton - https://www.southampton.ac.uk/courses/foundation-years/science.page
Nottingham - https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/life-sciences/study-with-us/sciencewithfoundationyear/index.aspx
Leeds - https://courses.leeds.ac.uk/g521/studies-in-science-with-foundation-year-bsc

Hi @lara8010,

I'm a second year at Lancaster Uni. I also had a really hard time deciding what to study at uni so remember you are not alone in feeling this way! Many people go through similar phases of uncertainty. The good news is that you still have loads of options and that your A-level subjects don't necessarily lock you onto a specific career path.

From my own experiences I can offer you some advice:
1. Reflect on your interests and passions: Take some time to think about the subjects and activities you genuinely enjoy. Consider what brings you joy and satisfaction, even if it doesn't seem directly related to a career.
2. Explore different subjects: Don't limit yourself to what you think you should study. Look into a wide range of courses and career options. Attend university open days, talk to current students, and visit career fairs to gain insights into various fields.
3. Talk to a career advisor: If your school or college has a career advisor, make an appointment to discuss your interests and concerns. They can provide valuable guidance and suggest potential career paths that align with your strengths.
4. Gap year or work experience: If you still feel uncertain, taking a gap year or gaining work experience in different fields can help you better understand what you enjoy and where your interests lie.

The prospects website (https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree) can show you some careers that different degrees can take you into. Just because you study one subject that doesn't mean you'll have a career in that later on. Also, if you are considering STEM in the future there are other options available like foundation years or doing another A-level so make sure you explore these options if it's something you are considering.

I hope some of this helps you and good luck with your applications!
-Beth (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest