The Student Room Group

Will I be out of my league studying Media at Uni?

Hello! I'm applying to University to start September 2024, and to be honest I've been really struggling. I have no clue what I want to do but I've seen a few Media courses that I really like (especially the one at Uni of Kent).

However, I'm... worried I guess? I did a strange assortment of GCSEs: Film Studies, Religious Studies, Fine Art and Sociology. I had literally no clue what I wanted to do and I struggled in school a lot (I was failing most classes up until my final exams where I actually did moderately to very good).
Anyway, I ended up going to my local college for Games Art because it seemed fun and for a while it was. I've realised though that whilst its been fun, it's not really the route I want to go down.
I get good grades so I'm not really worried about that, but I'm scared that I'll be way behind everyone else in the course. My Games Design course is listed under my college as "Media", but its a very different type of media to what I'd be studying at Uni. I'm just worried that I'll be in a worse position than other students and that I'll struggle to keep up.

Is there anything that I can do? Thanks for any responses!
Degrees in topics like media will have people joining the course with a very wide range of background qualifications. The first year should be designed to cover all the basic information and topics you need to know to make sure that everyone on the course has the basic tools they need.
If you’re worried that that’s not the case then talk to the university about your concerns. They should be able to reassure you.
Original post by mofumafu
Hello! I'm applying to University to start September 2024, and to be honest I've been really struggling. I have no clue what I want to do but I've seen a few Media courses that I really like (especially the one at Uni of Kent).

However, I'm... worried I guess? I did a strange assortment of GCSEs: Film Studies, Religious Studies, Fine Art and Sociology. I had literally no clue what I wanted to do and I struggled in school a lot (I was failing most classes up until my final exams where I actually did moderately to very good).
Anyway, I ended up going to my local college for Games Art because it seemed fun and for a while it was. I've realised though that whilst its been fun, it's not really the route I want to go down.
I get good grades so I'm not really worried about that, but I'm scared that I'll be way behind everyone else in the course. My Games Design course is listed under my college as "Media", but its a very different type of media to what I'd be studying at Uni. I'm just worried that I'll be in a worse position than other students and that I'll struggle to keep up.

Is there anything that I can do? Thanks for any responses!

Hi there

It is good to hear that you are already looking at your options. It is quite normal not to know what you want to do in the future, and it is great that you have enjoyed studying the topics you have taken.

At University, students come from a diverse background and will have studied different topics before choosing their course. Although I do not study Media, I also took unrelated A levels for my current course.

At Kent, and I believe many Universities, the courses will be designed to ease you into the studies. I found the first term of my studies useful for building foundations for my knowledge. It really helped increase my understanding of the topic and slowly ease into the course. I would not say it puts you behind other students. Whilst some students may have a head start due to their A levels, I found the rest of the cohort were able to catch up pretty soon, so I would not worry about it.

I hope this helps. If there is anything that you would like to know about studying at the University of Kent, I will be happy to answer. :smile:
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep
Hi,

It's great to hear you are looking at your options and found an area that you would like to go into. I was a Film and TV Production student at the University of Wolverhampton, I studied previously to that, Music technology, history, drama and film studies, and I see that you have studied film as well which will give you a great start as it did for me.

Some advice I can give you is to look at your previous studies and find the transferable skills in them, look at what you can bring from the knowledge you have from those areas, for me with drama, I transferred skills over like directing actors, script reading which then translated to script writing, I can understand that this might be quite an easy example but I hope you can understand what I'm trying to put across.

At the start of my film course there were students from all background who had never even looked at media till the last second, but what's special about the courses is that they will start from scratch, you don't need any background knowledge just a willingness to start learning it when you get to university. Everyone starts somewhere and everyone will be there to support you. If you're unsure ask the lecturers what the modules are and what they over for the first semester.

Also others in your class who you may perceive as being ahead of you, they can also help you, learn from the people around you, I can assure you, you will not be behind and I'm sure you have a lot to bring from your previous courses!

Hope this helps, goo luck!
Katie (Film Graduate)
University of Wolverhampton

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending