The Student Room Group

ICE

(I am autistic pls be nice)

Yesterday I applied on a whim to the ICE program Cambridge has; the Undergraduate Certificate in Politics - I've had a lot of really bad luck when it comes to education due to bullying, lack of friends at the time & mental health problems resulting in me dropping out of school as I was beginning my GCSEs

One thing led to another, I ended up on a few gap years, jumping from college to college but finally being able to sit my GCSE Eng & Maths over the last few months

So applying to the Undergrad Cert to Politics, it was very much a "I'm going into this not seriously thinking about it because I already know they'll turn me away" thing i.e on a whim, because I thought I wouldn't even get a look-in

Like two hours later, they got back to me to offer a place on the course and I was really happy because this was completely unexpected

But: I can't get excited about it/feel embarrassed telling friends about it because I'm convinced they must surely just accept anybody who applies, right?

Idk, not sure if that made sense, just want second hand opinions; it feels silly to tell people about because for all I know, they just let anybody do an Undergraduate Cert in Politics
Reply 1
Does it matter if they do or not? It's important to you that you're doing this; that's what matters, it seems to me. Not everything has to be a competition. So why shouldn't you tell your friends. Even if it's not a competitive application process as such, it's good that you're taking the opportunity to learn and broaden your mind. That is something that reflects well on you. And if you enjoy it, you may want to think about applying somewhere to do a bachelor's degree which has a foundation component (so you can get in without A-Levels) or maybe taking A-Levels and then doing a degree (there's no such thing as being too old to do a degree; I should know)

From looking at the website, it doesn't look like there are formal academic requirements, so it may not be competitive as such, although that doesn't mean that they accept *everyone*. Please don't feel embarrassed about telling your friends or about being excited about the course. You are improving your mind and if you later decide to apply for a qualification that's more competitive, it will put you in a stronger position to do that.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
(I am autistic pls be nice)

Yesterday I applied on a whim to the ICE program Cambridge has; the Undergraduate Certificate in Politics - I've had a lot of really bad luck when it comes to education due to bullying, lack of friends at the time & mental health problems resulting in me dropping out of school as I was beginning my GCSEs

One thing led to another, I ended up on a few gap years, jumping from college to college but finally being able to sit my GCSE Eng & Maths over the last few months

Idk, not sure if that made sense, just want second hand opinions; it feels silly to tell people about because for all I know, they just let anybody do an Undergraduate Cert in Politics

They'll accept you if they have confidence that you can do well on the course - that's all that matters!

If this is a CertHE course, I did one a few years back as a mature student. There were people there from all sorts of backgrounds and I found it really enjoyable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending