The Student Room Group

Subject Selection Confusion....

I'm thinking about taking maths, computer science and one more a level subject, but I'm sure of what to take... Should I choose eng lit/ lang or maybe smthg easier. I don't want to take neither of phy or further maths, please help I need advice T T
Well, if you’re taking maths and CS then, if you want to go to a top flight Uni, you will almost certainly need further maths. If you’re not planning on studying either of those at Uni then that’s fine.

Most Uni courses only require you to have an A level in the subject that you want to study and the others can be in almost anything else so why not just simply pick a subject that you enjoy, will work hard at (as you enjoy it) and will therefore get good grades in?

Oh, and did I mention you will enjoy it (which is what you should be looking to do with the things you study IMHO)?
Original post by kittiarie
I'm thinking about taking maths, computer science and one more a level subject, but I'm sure of what to take... Should I choose eng lit/ lang or maybe smthg easier. I don't want to take neither of phy or further maths, please help I need advice T T

Ask yourself the following:

-What are you thinking of studying at uni?
-What subjects interested you at GCSE?
-If there are any subjects you didn’t do at GCSE that are available options for A level, do any of them sound interesting enough for you to consider?
Reply 3
Original post by TypicalNerd
Ask yourself the following:

-What are you thinking of studying at uni?
-What subjects interested you at GCSE?
-If there are any subjects you didn’t do at GCSE that are available options for A level, do any of them sound interesting enough for you to consider?

I'm actually someone who wants to do most of the subjects they offer lmaoooo but I was thinking maybe eng lit or psychology, or maybe even law??? what do you think would be easier to do with the other two? I don't wanna over burden myself yk
Reply 4
Original post by Johnny Valentine
Well, if you’re taking maths and CS then, if you want to go to a top flight Uni, you will almost certainly need further maths. If you’re not planning on studying either of those at Uni then that’s fine.

Most Uni courses only require you to have an A level in the subject that you want to study and the others can be in almost anything else so why not just simply pick a subject that you enjoy, will work hard at (as you enjoy it) and will therefore get good grades in?

Oh, and did I mention you will enjoy it (which is what you should be looking to do with the things you study IMHO)?

Actually I don't think I'll be able to give further maths the attention, time and hard work it requires yk so that's why I'm not keen on perusing it as the third subject selection. Also I was thinking about maybe selecting eng lit / law or psychology? what do you suggest goes well with the other two subjects??
Reply 5

Untrue ...
Reply 6
How so...
I'm actually someone who wants to do most of the subjects they offer lmaoooo but I was thinking maybe eng lit or psychology, or maybe even law??? what do you think would be easier to do with the other two? I don't wanna over burden myself yk

I guess it will then depend on what you want to do at uni.

Bear in mind that there is no such thing as an “easy A level”.
Reply 8
I guess it will then depend on what you want to do at uni.

Bear in mind that there is no such thing as an “easy A level”.

hmmmm your right, like everything is going to be hard in alevels , then like what do you think one of these suites my other subject choices the best???
hmmmm your right, like everything is going to be hard in alevels , then like what do you think one of these suites my other subject choices the best???

I’d be inclined to say physics, further maths or chemistry would compliment maths and cs the most. However, it’s your call and there’s no point picking a subject you’d hate.
Reply 10
I’d be inclined to say physics, further maths or chemistry would compliment maths and cs the most. However, it’s your call and there’s no point picking a subject you’d hate.

ooo actually I was thinking about chem too but someone said it doesn't suite the other subjects but now that you have recommended it, I'll look further into it ^^
ooo actually I was thinking about chem too but someone said it doesn't suite the other subjects but now that you have recommended it, I'll look further into it ^^

You’d be surprised. Chemistry is respected for all the same reasons as biology and physics - and applies some elements of both. The problem solving, design of experiments and mathematical skills that form part of chemistry are applicable to other subjects.
Original post by Muttley79
Untrue ...

Sorry, you are right

I should have said “if you are looking to go to a top flight Uni to study maths or CS”

you are right that they wouldn’t need further maths to study law at a top flight Uni (for example) or another non associated subject
Sorry, you are right

I should have said “if you are looking to go to a top flight Uni to study maths or CS”

you are right that they wouldn’t need further maths to study law at a top flight Uni (for example) or another non associated subject

Depends what you mean by 'top flight' for CS - they don't need FMaths and they offer a year in industry.

Quick Reply

Latest