The Student Room Group

interpreting and law work experience

hi forum,
so i'm currently studying french, politics and sociology at A level and is still quite unsure about the route I want to take. I was quite set on taking the interpreting and law route and working as an interpreter in a court. however, I don't know any firms or opportunities that can offer work experience relating to this. does anyone have any connections to this kind of route? thanks
Original post by amel.z0
hi forum,
so i'm currently studying french, politics and sociology at A level and is still quite unsure about the route I want to take. I was quite set on taking the interpreting and law route and working as an interpreter in a court. however, I don't know any firms or opportunities that can offer work experience relating to this. does anyone have any connections to this kind of route? thanks

Hi,

I'm just completing my MA in Interpreting and Translating. Unfortunately, it is unlikely that you would find work experience in interpreting because you need certain qualifications, and especially in a court where there would be restrictions on sensitive information. The best route right now, I think, would be to do any kind of work experience, just so that you have a varied CV. It's good that you're thinking about things this early! I'm not sure about legal work experience. I do know that during our course, where we studied some legal interpreting, some students attended court hearings to get a feel for the environment and the processes. Lots of court hearings are open to the public - but make sure you check first!

Sorry I can't give you any more concrete options! Good luck,

Maya
Reply 2
Original post by University of Bath Postgraduate
Hi,

I'm just completing my MA in Interpreting and Translating. Unfortunately, it is unlikely that you would find work experience in interpreting because you need certain qualifications, and especially in a court where there would be restrictions on sensitive information. The best route right now, I think, would be to do any kind of work experience, just so that you have a varied CV. It's good that you're thinking about things this early! I'm not sure about legal work experience. I do know that during our course, where we studied some legal interpreting, some students attended court hearings to get a feel for the environment and the processes. Lots of court hearings are open to the public - but make sure you check first!

Sorry I can't give you any more concrete options! Good luck,

Maya

omg !! thank you for replying, i've recently just been focusing on the languages side of things, but also attending law/politics webinars but that sounds great! are you a student at bath? i'm going to a summer school there for sociology and i'm adding that uni to my application, how do you feel there?
Original post by amel.z0
omg !! thank you for replying, i've recently just been focusing on the languages side of things, but also attending law/politics webinars but that sounds great! are you a student at bath? i'm going to a summer school there for sociology and i'm adding that uni to my application, how do you feel there?

Hello,

Yes, I am! I'm just finishing my master's dissertation. I think that what you're doing already sounds really useful and will definitely help you to stand out.

That's cool that you're going to a summer school in Bath! I've loved it at Bath - it's a great uni, on the smaller side compared to some others but the campus is really nice. I have enjoyed living there too - I lived in a larger city before, when I studied at Nottingham, but I think I prefer Bath because of how picturesque and historical it is. I also have friends who studied at Bath for their whole university careers, and they loved it too.

I really hope you enjoy the summer school!

Maya
Reply 4
Original post by amel.z0
hi forum,

Hi!

I don't know if law firms offer this opportunity, it is more likely to find this opportunity with the Magistrates', County, or Crown Court. I think that you could also explore a career in law as a solicitor and there are a lot of firms including Slaughter and May, Ashurst, Latham & Watkins, and others that offer work experience to A-level students. This could really help you to make a choice as to a career in law.

If you want to research some of the firms I mentioned above, there is a course offered by Commercial Law Academy on law firm profiles and research, which includes 90+ profiles of different law firms.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending