The Student Room Group

Scared to do Philosophy BA

I am considering studying Philosophy then a GDL or a straight LLB, with hopes of being a solicitor.

But to be honest, I am scared to do Philosophy. There are so many horror stories out there from extremely regretful people who studied these so called 'useless' degrees and it really puts me off.

I'm hearing that Philosophy then Law is a genuinely viable route but I'm just worried / weary. Of course, studying philosophy will also allow me to get into a better university (most likely) so it's not all worry.

Thoughts? Anyone with a degree like this with any advice?

Thoughts on what to do?
Reply 1
As you said, "so-called 'useless degrees' ": what is or is not a useless degree is open to interpretation. And what about universities that don't have a stellar reputation? Or students that do a 'useful' course but have no work experience? Or go to a fab university, but concentrate only on their studies but nothing else. What will prospective employers think of that? There is definitely bias in some parts of the media (some of whom will have got their jobs through nepotism) and the government (half of whom probably studied philosophy along with a couple of social sciences) about what constitutes a useful course, As long as you have looked into the course and the modules, and know what it's all about, why not philosophy?!
Reply 2
Philosophy is always, always strong in terms of graduate employment and further study stats. I get sick of rolling this stuff out. Whoever says it's useless is a dullard even if they only look at education instrumentally as a means to employment. Outside of this pitifully regressive stance, it is a difficult and rewarding subject in its own right.

Given that your plan is in any case to go into law, it is not immediately clear why you'd be 'put off' by anybody else's opinion about what constitutes a useful degree. Why do you care?
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by gjd800
Philosophy is always, always strong in terms of graduate employment and further study stats. I get sick of rolling this stuff out. Whoever says it's useless is a dullard even if they only look at education instrumentally as a means to employment. Outside of this pitifully regressive stance, it is a difficult and rewarding subject in its own right.

Given that your plan is in any case to go into law, it is not immediately clear why you'd be 'put off' by anybody else's opinion about what constitutes a useful degree. Why do you care?

Because I'm a first generation university student from a working class background. So I have heard much more positivity about the degree than the 'horror stories', but I can't lose the mindset that I've grown up around: that a degree is a ticket to employment.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by gregregregreg
Because I'm a first generation university student from a working class background. So I have heard much more positivity about the degree than the 'horror stories', but I can't lose the mindset that I've grown up around: that a degree is a ticket to employment.

So was I, got in despite failed A Levels on a WP ticket. It's not a productive way to look at things. No non-vocational degree is a ticket to employment. Those days are long gone, and it has been this way for about 20 years.
Philosophy is a highly regarded, academic degree subject. If your grades are good and you go to a university with good academic standing all kinds of graduate careers (including law) will be open to you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending