The Student Room Group

Is summer accomodation worth it?

Ive heard its more expensive, also i dont know if i want to go home so would it be worth it to get summer accomodation?
Original post by Anonymous
Ive heard its more expensive, also i dont know if i want to go home so would it be worth it to get summer accomodation?

That's what I did this summer, as I wanted to stay in my part time job as I didn't want to transfer stores.
If you're a student they might give you a code making it cheaper if you're a student from that university :smile:
Anon,

It depends on your course, but it's likely you will finish your exams before your accommodation contract ends.

In my first year, my accommodation contract was until July but my exams finished in May!

So even you do want to stay around uni for a bit longer, you might be able to do this without signing up for accommodation over the summer.

Also, a lot of people may go home over the summer so it might not be as great as it seems if most of your housemates have left.

You will also be adding to your expenses as you will still have to pay for food etc when you might be able to avoid paying for those things at home.

It might be an idea to pay for accommodation for term time and to see how you feel closer to the time. For example, you might find a new place for second year and want to move there for the summer or you might want to head home straight after exams.

Hope that helps,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield

Hi there,

I'd say it depends on where you stay, most people say it's more expensive mainly because staying for a shorter term cost more per week than long term stay but if you're staying in the same place it should be the same price.

But if it isn't necessary and you have easy means of going home, it's better going away for the same. It helps save a lot of money for you because a lot of things are different during summer like the bus timetable can change, not much happening at uni and it might become more quiet than usual If you have a job or something important to do, then it's alright.

You can also check out another accommodation for the summer and see if you'd like it. Hope you have a fun summer!

Benedicta
Digital Ambassador-UoS

Hi there,
It's possible to find great summer accommodation - it just depends on if it's right for you. There's many reasons people opt for summer stays. This could include anything from part time jobs, to wanting to travel and explore a different city to arriving early and settling in before your course starts. At Student Roost, our weekly rate is the same for summer accommodation as it is the rest of the year so definitely search around and you should find accommodation that is excellent value for money.

Keep an eye on threads like this one as well, as sometimes students are looking for people to takeover a portion of their tenancy over summer.

Hope this helps!

- Sophie

Kinda depends on your circumstances, many people stay over the summer to find part-time work or may just prefer it to returning home. It may be a bit quieter but there's pros and cons to both really.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending