The Student Room Group

Choice of Universitys

My predicted grades are AAA, my current choices are:

- Queen Mary x 2
- Surrey
- City
- Royal Holloway

I'm currently debating wether I should apply for Computer Science or Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence).How much of a difference are their between the courses as a BSc's?
Also Ive read about Computer Science with industry replacement, what are the pros and cons about an industry replacement?
Any advice or replies are appreciated, thanks.
Original post by Mohammad Yusuf

- Queen Mary x 2
- Surrey
- City
- Royal Holloway

I'm currently debating wether I should apply for Computer Science or Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence).How much of a difference are their between the courses as a BSc's?
Also Ive read about Computer Science with industry replacement, what are the pros and cons about an industry replacement?

Hi!

I went through this almost exactly when applying! Honestly, for most universities Computer Science and Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence) are taught the exact same way for the first year or two and quite a lot of people switch between them while at uni. And in the later years Computer Science students not on the Artificial Intelligence part can do the exact same modules. Normally the case is that the (Artificial Intelligence) students have less optional modules as more are needed to be completed to get that on your degree at the end, while Computer Science students have more freedom but if you like AI and want to go in that field having that on the degree can be really helpful.

I would just choose whichever interests you the most! And possibly email the universities to double check that you can switch during the first part of the degree if that'll make it easier for you to decide now as then you can always change later.

As with industry experience I can't say too much about the process or what it's like as I'm not doing it myself but from what my friends have said and when I've talked to some employers they do see it as quite valuable.

I hope this helps! If you have any more questions feel free to ask!

- Jessica
2nd year, Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence)
Thank you very much ! One more thing, University of Surrey and RHUL appear to have Computer Science with an industrial placement in the website but it doesn't appear when applying on the UCAS website ?
Reply 3

- Queen Mary x 2
- Surrey
- City
- Royal Holloway

i gotta say we've applied to almost the same unis! i applied to all of those except surrey, which was brunel for me! also comp sci! but i actually applied for different comp sci related courses in each uni! ive got 2 offers already!
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 4
Thank you very much ! One more thing, University of Surrey and RHUL appear to have Computer Science with an industrial placement in the website but it doesn't appear when applying on the UCAS website ?

try to type in the course code instead of the name?
Original post by eenie_49
i gotta say we've applied to almost the same unis! i applied to all of those except surrey, which was brunel for me! also comp sci! but i actually applied for different comp sci related courses in each uni! ive got 2 offers already!

Great news ! Brunel was an option but it was just ranked much lower than the other universities I applied for. Regarding applying for different parts of Computer Science I believe its possible for some unis to switch after the first year or 2 which I will perhaps do so for Artificial Intelligence. As it stands now, I'd like to keep my options for future careers open
try to type in the course code instead of the name?

I tried but I just sent it off without worrying too much. On the website they appear both to have a placement offer so if I get an offer I'll clear things up! Also what were your predicted grades?
Reply 7
I tried but I just sent it off without worrying too much. On the website they appear both to have a placement offer so if I get an offer I'll clear things up! Also what were your predicted grades?

Great !!
AAA !!
Great !!
AAA !!

Which universities did you get accepted by and how long did it take for you to get a response?
Reply 9
Which universities did you get accepted by and how long did it take for you to get a response?

so i applied on the 3rd of November,
6th of nov my apprenticeship with QMUL got back to me about interviews (they haven’t given me an offer yet i’ve just done the interviews)
7th - offer for my other undergrad course at QMUL
20th nov - offer at city!

i’ve got confirmation emails for all
unis except RHUL, so i called them and they said that they don’t send confirmation emails just offer email (most unis will email u saying your application is under review, they don’t)
so i applied on the 3rd of November,
6th of nov my apprenticeship with QMUL got back to me about interviews (they haven’t given me an offer yet i’ve just done the interviews)
7th - offer for my other undergrad course at QMUL
20th nov - offer at city!

i’ve got confirmation emails for all
unis except RHUL, so i called them and they said that they don’t send confirmation emails just offer email (most unis will email u saying your application is under review, they don’t)

Glad to hear the process is going well! Thanks for your help. Do you think the unis I applied for will do an interview ?
Reply 11
Glad to hear the process is going well! Thanks for your help. Do you think the unis I applied for will do an interview ?

nope none of them!! idk about surrey but i honestly dont think there is!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending