The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Has anyone studies Human and Social Data Science at University of Sussex?

Hey everyone!

I am planning on studying Human & Social Data Science at the University of Sussex, but have a couple questions.

How was the course generally?

Any topics you recommend I study beforehand to get a head start?

Most importantly, how was getting a job if you have graduated? I am worried that maybe its not that technical based so will struggle to get a job once I have graduated.

Thank you very much! :smile:
Reply 1
Hi Henry,
I'm starting MSc Data Science at Sussex in September. Not sure if it's exactly the same as for you but we've been sent a link to Datacamp. I've also got a video talking through what maths you'll need for machine learning if you want me to send a link.
Dom
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 2
Hey Dom,

That link would be amazing thank you!!
Reply 3
I'm waiting for permission to send a PM😒 I'll send it over when I can
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by henrysame
Hey everyone!

I am planning on studying Human & Social Data Science at the University of Sussex, but have a couple questions.

How was the course generally?

Any topics you recommend I study beforehand to get a head start?

Most importantly, how was getting a job if you have graduated? I am worried that maybe its not that technical based so will struggle to get a job once I have graduated.

Thank you very much! :smile:

Hi,
I'm just finishing up my dissertation for this course.
The course varied, some modules were excellent with really good teachers and a couple were not great. The first couple of months were a VERY steep learning curve, you are learning lots of new topics all at once. Definitely do the Datacamp work, this will be really useful, you are expected to be able to use Python pretty much immediately. And I know they had A LOT of feedback about the maths so whatever they are giving new students will be in response to that and should be useful.
You take the same core modules as the Data Science students so your level of knowledge about say, Machine Learning, should be the same. You also have options so you can choose the more techy ones if you want, it's not a stand alone course but made up of existing modules.
I'm still finishing up so haven't started looking for a job yet and can't help with that question.
Good luck!
Reply 5
Original post by oatsandbeans
Hi,
I'm just finishing up my dissertation for this course.
The course varied, some modules were excellent with really good teachers and a couple were not great. The first couple of months were a VERY steep learning curve, you are learning lots of new topics all at once. Definitely do the Datacamp work, this will be really useful, you are expected to be able to use Python pretty much immediately. And I know they had A LOT of feedback about the maths so whatever they are giving new students will be in response to that and should be useful.
You take the same core modules as the Data Science students so your level of knowledge about say, Machine Learning, should be the same. You also have options so you can choose the more techy ones if you want, it's not a stand alone course but made up of existing modules.
I'm still finishing up so haven't started looking for a job yet and can't help with that question.
Good luck!

Hey!! Sorry I have only just read your message, sorry for late reply. Thank you very much for getting back to me. Thats an interesting perspective I appreciate it. Now that you have finished the course how is the job hunt going out of curiosity? I hope your dissertation went well and your all good!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending