The Student Room Group

Attending graduation with no friends

So I am graduating in a few days and I have no friends at university (not even acquaintances), and I am a bit nervous. I will be attending with all my family, and don't want to be seen as a loner with no friends, and feel like it would be awkward, especially before the ceremony when everyone line-up to enter the graduating Hall (guests and students have different lines so I will be standing alone, while other people are in their friend group, could I perhaps arrive a bit late to not have to stand there awkwardly?). Also, I am worried about the pictures after graduation, particularly a group picture that all graduates need to be in , I will again be alone there.
Hey there!

As a cyber security student at De Montfort University, I can understand why you might be feeling nervous about attending your graduation without any friends or acquaintances. However, I want you to know that you're not alone in feeling this way. Many people attend graduation without close friends or family members present, and that's completely okay.

If you're feeling nervous about standing alone before the ceremony, you could try arriving a bit later to avoid the crowd. Alternatively, you could strike up a conversation with someone in line and make a new friend! Remember that everyone is there to celebrate their accomplishments, and there's no need to feel embarrassed or ashamed about attending alone.

As for the group picture, try not to worry too much about it. You'll likely be grouped with other graduates you don't know, so it's a great opportunity to make new connections. And if you're really uncomfortable, you could always try standing at the edge of the group or strategically positioning yourself to avoid standing alone.

Most importantly, remember that graduation is a celebration of your accomplishments and hard work. You should be proud of yourself for making it this far, regardless of who is or isn't there with you.

Congratulations on your upcoming graduation and best of luck to you in your future endeavors!

- Ilya :rolleyes:
Hi there

As a student who just graduated this week i know the worry of having no friends as i was in the same situation however just thought of it as i have done the work and should be proud to be attending my graduation.

Regarding being on your own with just your family it doesn't matter as the event is so big nobody will see you as a loner even from the minute you step into the preparation area.

Regrading group photos just place yourself at the end as it will not show that you dont know anyone in the group it will just make you look like you are involved in the photos.

All i can say is you have worked hard to get to the stage of graduating so just enjoy the day and think about it as day celebrating with your family.

Emma
Third year student - UCLAN
If you are that worried then don’t attend . Claim you’re sick . If I’m not mistaken it’s not compulsory to attend .
Anon,

Don't panic! If you recognise someone, say 'Congratulations' to them and they will be likely to say the same to you! If they are someone from your course, take a photo with them. You've been on the same journey with them and they will be happy to celebrate with you : )

On graduation day, everyone is happy for each other, whether you have been really close at uni or not, so don't be afraid to take photos with different people.

When I completed my first degree, my friends graduated on different days or didn't come, so it wasn't ideal but there were people from my course who I saw and who I took photos with : )

Enjoy your day!

:clap2:Congratulations on your graduation!!!

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending