The Student Room Group

Careers fair attire and other queries

Hi all,

Tomorrow I am attending a careers fair in my city to increase my chance of gaining new employment.

I was just confused on what to wear tbh (im female btw) because I have a few friends that have attended these events and they’ve went very causal. I also looked pictures up of a typical jobs fair and everyone seemed to be dressed casual or smart casual.

I was thinking of just going in a plaid shirt and jeans as I want to be comfortable tbh and on the jobs fair website it did say you DO NOT have to dress smart and can dress casual.

Do you think a nice smart plaid shirt and jeans would be appropriate for such an event? If not I was just going to wear a plain jumper and jeans.

Also another query, do you think it is a good idea to take a number of print outs of my CV with me to give to people at each stand?
Original post by Musicgirl97
Hi all,

Tomorrow I am attending a careers fair in my city to increase my chance of gaining new employment.

I was just confused on what to wear tbh (im female btw) because I have a few friends that have attended these events and they’ve went very causal. I also looked pictures up of a typical jobs fair and everyone seemed to be dressed casual or smart casual.

I was thinking of just going in a plaid shirt and jeans as I want to be comfortable tbh and on the jobs fair website it did say you DO NOT have to dress smart and can dress casual.

Do you think a nice smart plaid shirt and jeans would be appropriate for such an event? If not I was just going to wear a plain jumper and jeans.

Also another query, do you think it is a good idea to take a number of print outs of my CV with me to give to people at each stand?

Is this a university careers fair or a more general one? If the later, what type of employers will be there? If the former, I'd imagine most employers in attendance will be there to promote their graduate jobs and schemes, in which case applications will almost certainly be handled online, with the value of the careers fair being to have a discussion with employees and recruitment about what the company and role(s) is like, how the application works, etc. In those scenarios, it probably won't make much difference to dress smart as opposed to being more presentable, and taking paper CVs won't be much use.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending