The Student Room Group

Graduation ceremony no friends

I have my graduation ceremony coming up, which will be attended by all my family. However, I have no friends at university, and feel like I will be seen as awkward/lonely. My brother just graduated and he spent time with his friends, taking pictures etc... My sister did the same. However, I have no friends or acquaintance graduating, and feel like it will be a bad experience with me standing alone (especially during the Graduate lin-up before entering the ceremony, during the pictures after the graduation, and just in general).

I didn’t really have an opportunity to make friends (due to 2 years of remote learning), and my last year was just weird, despite joining multiple societies and doing many activities, I couldn't find anyone. We are graduating by colleges (so not everyone is from my department/course), so, should I just say that my friends are graduating on another day?
Reply 1
You'll be fine pal. I promise you, you won't be the only person with no mates who are also graduating. You have your family so you won't be lonely or alone afterwards. Everyone will be too focused on if their make up looks good or if their shirt looks ironed to even notice you being alone before the graduation ceremony . Try not to think about it and enjoy your day :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I have my graduation ceremony coming up, which will be attended by all my family. However, I have no friends at university, and feel like I will be seen as awkward/lonely. My brother just graduated and he spent time with his friends, taking pictures etc... My sister did the same. However, I have no friends or acquaintance graduating, and feel like it will be a bad experience with me standing alone (especially during the Graduate lin-up before entering the ceremony, during the pictures after the graduation, and just in general).

I didn’t really have an opportunity to make friends (due to 2 years of remote learning), and my last year was just weird, despite joining multiple societies and doing many activities, I couldn't find anyone. We are graduating by colleges (so not everyone is from my department/course), so, should I just say that my friends are graduating on another day?

I would say go up to people on graduation day and talk to them try make some friends and ask them what they majored in exc.. and start a conversation with them that way your parents/whoever can see you as extroverted.

Also, graduation isnt about friends its about YOU!
Reply 3

You will most definitely will be fine, your family will be a big support and rallying around you on the day.
Reply 4
Original post by as2000
You'll be fine pal. I promise you, you won't be the only person with no mates who are also graduating. You have your family so you won't be lonely or alone afterwards. Everyone will be too focused on if their make up looks good or if their shirt looks ironed to even notice you being alone before the graduation ceremony . Try not to think about it and enjoy your day :smile:

I just want to be seen as if I don't have any friends by my family. I suffer from insecurity.
Reply 5
I would say go up to people on graduation day and talk to them try make some friends and ask them what they majored in exc.. and start a conversation with them that way your parents/whoever can see you as extroverted.

Also, graduation isnt about friends its about YOU!

I feel like this will be a bit weird/awkward, I am not great in social situations
Reply 6
Original post by Ghostlady
You will most definitely will be fine, your family will be a big support and rallying around you on the day.

I am mostly worried for the after graduation photo (all of us graduates need to line-up for a picture), and the line to enter the graduation hall, I believe the wait time is of around 30 min, I believe that will be a bit lonely.
Reply 7
I am mostly worried for the after graduation photo (all of us graduates need to line-up for a picture), and the line to enter the graduation hall, I believe the wait time is of around 30 min, I believe that will be a bit lonely.

On thoses parts, just exchange pleasantries. Congratulations, are you staying in the uni city or moving on, hoping that everyone got all their marks. Its a nice day, glad we got a summer graduation, plans for after graduation. If the people next to you are on same course, talk about the course. Who you are going to miss, or not going to miss lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending