The Student Room Group

will it be possible for me to change a levels now?

hi i’m in year 12 right now and i want to change chemistry to sociology, is it too late for me to do that? i genuinely do think i could catch up that might make me sound mad lol but i do think i could do as all my friends that are doing sociology have said that’s it’s really easy to learn and i take psychology right now and in every exam we’ve done i’ve gotten either an A or A* so i do think i’m capable of achieving a high grade in sociology. Is it possible to catch up on all of year 12 sociology in 3 months?
Reply 1
Original post by giveonsupremacy
hi i’m in year 12 right now and i want to change chemistry to sociology, is it too late for me to do that? i genuinely do think i could catch up that might make me sound mad lol but i do think i could do as all my friends that are doing sociology have said that’s it’s really easy to learn and i take psychology right now and in every exam we’ve done i’ve gotten either an A or A* so i do think i’m capable of achieving a high grade in sociology. Is it possible to catch up on all of year 12 sociology in 3 months?

im in the same boat, I am y12 and want to change chemistry to English lang, but I was told I would have to retake the year If I was to switch, and honestly same I feel like I could catch up if your confident enough it should be fine especially now we have 6 weeks in summer to catch up it all depends on your school

It is definitely possible. Your are in year 12 and so you have until this September to catch up. There are two possible routes of action: 1) stop doing work for chemistry and start sociology now! or 2) keep doing chemistry until the end of your academic year (meaning you will have less time to cover sociology).

Speak with your head of sixth form. Explain to them the situation and see what they say. However, if you are still getting a good grade in chemistry then it is pointless - keep going - I know it may be boring/not of interest to you but you can only keep going. Or if you are genuinely not doing as well then do try what I have suggested.

Good luck!
Original post by nish58
im in the same boat, I am y12 and want to change chemistry to English lang, but I was told I would have to retake the year If I was to switch, and honestly same I feel like I could catch up if your confident enough it should be fine especially now we have 6 weeks in summer to catch up it all depends on your school

chemistry really the bane of both our existences huh 😭😭 exactly since we have the 6 weeks as well nd when i drop chem i would have a ton of free periods so i genuinely do think i could catch up i just really need to ask my tutor tomorrow hopefully i’ll be able to 🤞🏾 do you think you will retake year 12 to change chem?
Original post by Alfie1001
It is definitely possible. Your are in year 12 and so you have until this September to catch up. There are two possible routes of action: 1) stop doing work for chemistry and start sociology now! or 2) keep doing chemistry until the end of your academic year (meaning you will have less time to cover sociology).

Speak with your head of sixth form. Explain to them the situation and see what they say. However, if you are still getting a good grade in chemistry then it is pointless - keep going - I know it may be boring/not of interest to you but you can only keep going. Or if you are genuinely not doing as well then do try what I have suggested.

Good luck!

lol no my chemistry grades are so bad rn and i jus don’t want to continue with it to year 13 when the subject literally has me losing my will to live and i would rather change subjects now then have to redo year 13 after not getting a good enough grade in year 13 but yhhh i’m deffo gonna talk to my personal progress tutor tomorrow (as i don’t have a head of year since i go to a sixth form college) tomorrow
Original post by nish58

hey ik this was like 2 months ago but were you able to change or are you gonna redo year 12?
they might let you do it for AS but in year 13
my friend dropped year 12 chem at the end of year 12 so she started doing as psychology in year 13 she just did it with the year 12s
Reply 7
Original post by fifi5768
they might let you do it for AS but in year 13
my friend dropped year 12 chem at the end of year 12 so she started doing as psychology in year 13 she just did it with the year 12s

okay but wouldn't that technically mean she's resitting? because after she does the AS she would have to do A2 as well while the current year 13s will be going into uni
Original post by Doraxx
okay but wouldn't that technically mean she's resitting? because after she does the AS she would have to do A2 as well while the current year 13s will be going into uni

no my friend dropped chem at the end of year 12
then did 2 a levels in yr 13 and an AS - which is only a year long
so she finished with 2 a levels and an AS and got into uni so went to uni with the rest of her year, sorry, does that make sense now?
also you can do AS which is only 1 year long, did you not do any AS levels, I thought they were quite common?
so she finished with 2 a levels and an AS and got into uni so went to uni with the rest of her year, sorry, does that make sense now?
also you can do AS which is only 1 year long, did you not do any AS levels, I thought they were quite common?

I know you weren't replying to me, but it would've been great to do a subject at AS level! I thought AS levels weren't as common to do now as A levels are now linear qualifications, so a lot of schools/colleges tend to only do A level. (they don't spend the time doing AS exams as it won't count if the subject is carried on to A level anyway). my sixth form only allows AS levels in certain cases and at the end of year 12, we just have mock exams.
(edited 1 year ago)

oh i understand now. i just didn't think uni accepted 2 alevels and an AS i thought it had to be 3 a levels/BTEC equivalent and only accept AS as like a contextual offer typa thing. also, yes i did AS but because of covid i never got to do proper exams so i have no grades from that except the ones from our end of year mocks.
Original post by Doraxx
oh i understand now. i just didn't think uni accepted 2 alevels and an AS i thought it had to be 3 a levels/BTEC equivalent and only accept AS as like a contextual offer typa thing. also, yes i did AS but because of covid i never got to do proper exams so i have no grades from that except the ones from our end of year mocks.

From memory AS qualifications do carry some weight to them point wise; An A at AS is equivalent to 20 UCAS Points, a B 16, a C 12 and so on.
Universities that usually on the entry requirements say you have to get so and so grades, or the equivalent in UCAS Points would most likely accept someone that had two decent A level grades and a decent AS grade that met the tariff entry point equivalent
Reply 12
hey ik this was like 2 months ago but were you able to change or are you gonna redo year 12?

ok so I do 4 a levels and you only need 3 to apply to uni so im just dropping chem I don't need to retake

Update pls!!
so sorry its a 3 month late update but basically I got to carry on a level psychology into year 13 as I was getting good grades in it and I sat that exam this year, but I changed a level chemistry to sociology and a level biology to btec human biology so I was in year 12 for them last year and now I'm only doing sociology and human biology this academic year. does that make sense its really confusing icel
Original post by NormalBrit
Update pls!!
Reply 15
so sorry its a 3 month late update but basically I got to carry on a level psychology into year 13 as I was getting good grades in it and I sat that exam this year, but I changed a level chemistry to sociology and a level biology to btec human biology so I was in year 12 for them last year and now I'm only doing sociology and human biology this academic year. does that make sense its really confusing icel

sorry I know this is quite late but does this mean that you did 3 years at college or two.As I’m currently not enjoying what I’m doing but the only way to change would be to redo the year next September which is a shame as I don’t really want to do that.
Original post by amber_445
sorry I know this is quite late but does this mean that you did 3 years at college or two.As I’m currently not enjoying what I’m doing but the only way to change would be to redo the year next September which is a shame as I don’t really want to do that.

currently on my third year of college it’s longggg but it’s chill since i’m only doing two a alevels now since i got my psych over nd done with now but i’ll be honest with u it does suck like i don’t have my close friends at college with me anymore nd i miss seeing them everyday but i know that if i continued with chemistry i would’ve absolutely hated it and possibly had to spend an extra year anyway retaking it nd now atleast even though im doing an extra year it’s with subjects i enjoy so i say choose what u think would be best for u

Quick Reply

Latest