The Student Room Group

Moving to a new town soon, how will I make friends?

I've got a job there but I haven't made any friends at my current job, plus it's only a small place. I don't want to end up a loner lol. Doesn't help I'm a bit shy either.
Original post by WhiteRabbit68
I've got a job there but I haven't made any friends at my current job, plus it's only a small place. I don't want to end up a loner lol. Doesn't help I'm a bit shy either.

Hi @WhiteRabbit68

I was in a similar situation in a previous job I had. I used to find it hard to join in on conversations, especially when my colleagues were already joking and chatting, so I didn't want to interrupt. But I overcame this by just trying to start conversations with anyone about literally anything. You could chat about the work you're doing, or something on tv. It can feel a little awkward at first, but it'll ease as the conversation picks up. Plus, as you're new to the area, you can always ask people about the town, things to do, etc.

Maybe you could see if there are any events going on in your new town? I think trying out some new things is a great way to meet people, as you never know who is going to be there.

It might take some time but you'll get there.
Good luck with the job!

Emily
Student Ambassador at BCU

Quick Reply

Latest