The Student Room Group

Degrees

What careers/jobs could I go into with international management bsc?
Original post by Skittles_beans
What careers/jobs could I go into with international management bsc?

As management degrees are not required degrees for any specific role in industry, I would pretty much say any job that accepts a degree in any subject.

For doctorates in management, you can get into one if you have a high enough grade in the degree.

Note, the list of jobs that accepts a degree in any subject is pretty long in itself, so you're not exactly going to be short on opportunities anytime soon.
Having said that, is it preferred over a quantitative degree in say maths, physics, engineering, computer science, etc. for any random graduate role? Probably not. However, grades and degree subject are amongst a minute part of a long criteria recruiters use to judge your job application.

The degree is useful if you want to set up your own business and you don't have a background in business e.g. A Level business studies or BA certificate from CIMA. It's also useful if you want to go into business consulting by yourself for similar reasons.

Should you wish to go into specific professions where they require specific certifications, it would depend on the individual type of role. However, you should generally be eligible for things in law (solicitor) and accounting. If you want to go into other roles like a psychologist and teacher, then you would need to take further degrees.

I don't know how it would fare for roles outside of the UK though.

If you want the list of jobs that you can apply for, let me know (it's long)
Original post by MindMax2000
As management degrees are not required degrees for any specific role in industry, I would pretty much say any job that accepts a degree in any subject.

For doctorates in management, you can get into one if you have a high enough grade in the degree.

Note, the list of jobs that accepts a degree in any subject is pretty long in itself, so you're not exactly going to be short on opportunities anytime soon.
Having said that, is it preferred over a quantitative degree in say maths, physics, engineering, computer science, etc. for any random graduate role? Probably not. However, grades and degree subject are amongst a minute part of a long criteria recruiters use to judge your job application.

The degree is useful if you want to set up your own business and you don't have a background in business e.g. A Level business studies or BA certificate from CIMA. It's also useful if you want to go into business consulting by yourself for similar reasons.

Should you wish to go into specific professions where they require specific certifications, it would depend on the individual type of role. However, you should generally be eligible for things in law (solicitor) and accounting. If you want to go into other roles like a psychologist and teacher, then you would need to take further degrees.

I don't know how it would fare for roles outside of the UK though.

If you want the list of jobs that you can apply for, let me know (it's long)

Thank you so much!! Could I go into auditing or be a financial analyst with this degree? And yes, could you list the jobs I could apply for please
Original post by Skittles_beans
Thank you so much!! Could I go into auditing or be a financial analyst with this degree? And yes, could you list the jobs I could apply for please

Auditing, yes with any degree. This is because you need the appropriate accounting qualification, not the degree for it. Popular choices include ACA and ACCA (with a few other qualifications on top). You can do it with ICAS or CAI, but it depends on the firm you work at.
Personal preference is the ACA as that qualification alone can get you into auditing without other qualifications, and it's recognised in UK.
Accounting qualifications care more about whether you have passes at A Levels (or equivalent) than what degree you have.

Financial analyst - depends on the type. Are you referring to investment analysis or the type where you are in a more accounting role?
If you're referring to investment analysis, you can do the CFA which generally asks for an undergrad in any subject so long you apply within a certain timeframe (CFA used to allow you to do an IMC before progressing onto the CFA, but I am not sure if they have changed their entry requirements).
For the more accounting role, you typically require an accounting qualification. Whilst you can pretty much get into such role with an accounting qualification of pretty much any type, you would ideally get one in management accounting (CIMA) and second being a financial accounting qualification (ACA, ACCA, ICAS, CAI, AIA, etc.).

The difficult part is getting the jobs, not doing the degree. These are very competitive roles.

I am not sure why you want me to list the jobs when the above pretty much answer your enquiry.
The sort of jobs you can look for would be in accounting practices (which includes the big 4) for auditing. You can also look into internal audit, but I don't think that's what you're looking for.
For investment analyst roles, you're looking at investment banks generally. For accounting based roles, you're looking at large firms (generally in manufacturing, but can include service based businesses).
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending