The Student Room Group

Rejected from Ulster uni, BTEC not sufficient, mature student

Mature student, the school I went to in England told me that the combination of BTEC level 3 and A level would be sufficient to go to university. I did the uni visits in 6th form but decided not to go. Now 27, I decided the best way forward is uni
Have just been told by Ulster uni that my BTEC is only equivalent to 1.5 A levels, so in effect I only have a total of 2.5 A levels. I'm guessing the response from other universities will be the same.
Any suggestions? I'm beyond annoyed with the school and feel they have badly let me down.
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Caddisarah
Mature student, the school I went to in England told me that the combination of BTEC level 3 and A level would be sufficient to go to university. I did the uni visits in 6th form but decided not to go. Now 27, I decided the best way forward is uni
Have just been told by Ulster uni that my BTEC is only equivalent to 1.5 A levels, so in effect I only have a total of 2.5 A levels. I'm guessing the response from other universities will be the same.
Any suggestions? I'm beyond annoyed with the school and feel they have badly let me down.

BTEC equivalents are calculated as follows:

New RQF BTEC Nationals (Pearson BTEC Level 3)
National Certificate (graded P, M, D, D*) = 0.5 x A level
National Extended Certificate (graded P, M, D, D*) = 1.0 x A level
National Foundation Diploma (graded P, M, D, D*) = 1.5 x A levels
National Diploma (graded from PP to D*D*) = 2.0 x A levels
National Extended Diploma (graded from PPP to D*D*D*) = 3.0 x A levels

Old QCF BTEC Level 3 qualifications
Certificate (graded P, M, D, D*) = 0.5 x A level
Subsidiary Diploma (graded P, M, D, D*) = 1.0 x A level
90-credit Diploma (graded from PP to D*D*) = 1.5 x A levels
Diploma (graded from PP to D*D*) = 2.0 x A levels
Extended Diploma (graded from PPP to D*D*D*) = 3.0 x A levels

You could consider a one-year Access to Higher Education Diploma. It would give you more recent study and it is readily accepted by unis as an alternative to A levels. Just check with any unis you are considering that they would accept it for your course:

https://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/about-access
Original post by Caddisarah
They may have given information which was correct at the time it was given - you're talking about 10 years ago.
It's also possible that even if you had the right equivalents the time passed would still see them wanting evidence of more recent study (eg the 1 year access course mentioned (some can be done remotely))

However, depending on what course you are wanting to study and what conversations you've had, it may be that you've just been rejected automatically but that they have a reconsideration route for mature students which is worth considering.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending