The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Scotney
If I try to rep I get a red message telling me I have repped too many people today despite me repping no one.
Edit button is not showing.
On my notifications say quoted or mentioned
Also problems replying to threads.Takes a few tries.

Actually correction it is on new post not quote.
Also not a fan that it says 99+ notifications (as opposed to the actual number e.g 108, I’d prefer it if I was told the actual number) and the fact that it says reply 1 instead of post #2 (for games like CTAM I’d prefer to see post #X rather than reply X).

In terms of design though I like it and pretty much have no issues with it, only thing I’m not a fan of is the search (only because I can’t always find what I’m looking for) and the lack of colour (old version is better in that regard).

Edit: find the people symbol next to people who are FH+ (FH, VT, VSL, CS, GS etc) to be unnecessary
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by Scotney
Actually correction it is on new post not quote.

Could you please let me know what browser and device you're using, please? And ideally the versions of both, if possible!
Reply 63
Original post by RainbowLapras
Could you please let me know what browser and device you're using, please? And ideally the versions of both, if possible!

I am on my phone Android and have no idea about browsers or anything technical I am afraid.
Original post by Scotney
I am on my phone Android and have no idea about browsers or anything technical I am afraid.

The default browser on an Android device is Chrome, which will look like this at the top:

IMG_20230925_120054.jpg

Is that what you see? (A dodgy-looking Home button on the left, then a search box, then a small box with a count of open tabs, then three vertical dots.)
Original post by Scotney

What does the browser logo look like?
Original post by Sorcerer of Old

The second one but sometimes when I click on a thread it'll randomly be in the first format which I hate so much and have to click off it.

To get the old search on the second format then, do not search via the magnifying glass, instead go to where the 3 striped lines are in the top right corner and search via there instead. This works if you’re still on showthread2. And it’s what I use to easily bypass the new search when I want or need to bypass it.

Spoiler

(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by Scotney

At least you guys can rep!I cannot even do that!

I’m able to rep. That sucks (you not being able to rep).
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
Old news but I'm devastated at the the old search function being gone.

It isn't gone.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/search.php?type=advanced
Reply 69
Ok right

Ok I am using Chrome on Android 12.
Original post by Talkative Toad
To get the old search on the second format then, do not search via the magnifying glass, instead go to where the 3 striped lines are in the top right corner and search via there instead. This works if you’re still on showthread2. And it’s what I use to easily bypass the new search when I want or need to bypass it.

Spoiler

There is/was a page somewhere explaining all the BBcode (including some features that probably stopped working years ago), but I wasn't able to find it when I looked for it recently.
I'm not sure whether it's been deleted or it's had links to it removed from other pages (it was never all that easy to find), but I can't seem to find it.

There's a treasure trove of old TSR stuff that's really hard to find because there aren't clear links, and some which I suspect the knowledge of may exist only in the memories of long-retired devs.
Original post by Rufus The Red

There is/was a page somewhere explaining all the BBcode (including some features that probably stopped working years ago), but I wasn't able to find it when I looked for it recently.
I'm not sure whether it's been deleted or it's had links to it removed from other pages (it was never all that easy to find), but I can't seem to find it.

There's a treasure trove of old TSR stuff that's really hard to find because there aren't clear links, and some which I suspect the knowledge of may exist only in the memories of long-retired devs.

Yeah probably.
Original post by Rufus The Red

I have this page on BBcode in my bookmarks. Is that what you were looking for?
Original post by DataVenia
I have this page on BBcode in my bookmarks. Is that what you were looking for?

That is the one, thanks.
I shall pop it in my bookmarks.
Original post by Scotney
Ok right

Ok I am using Chrome on Android 12.

Could you please try clearing your cache and cookies and seeing if that puts you back to the expected thread view, please? If you're on Android on Chrome then from a TSR page click the icon in the search bar at the top of the screen next to the URL, and then click 'cookies and site data' on the resulting menu. Then just click the bin icon next to it, and confirm cookie deletion for TSR :smile:

Note that this will sign you out, so you'll need to log back in after! Any issues just let me know :crossedf:
Reply 75
Could you please try clearing your cache and cookies and seeing if that puts you back to the expected thread view, please? If you're on Android on Chrome then from a TSR page click the icon in the search bar at the top of the screen next to the URL, and then click 'cookies and site data' on the resulting menu. Then just click the bin icon next to it, and confirm cookie deletion for TSR :smile:

Note that this will sign you out, so you'll need to log back in after! Any issues just let me know :crossedf:

Okay result!Repping is restored!Thank you so much.😅
Original post by Scotney
Okay result!Repping is restored!Thank you so much.😅

Fantastic! And are you back onto the non-React experience too? :smile:
Reply 77
Fantastic! And are you back onto the non-React experience too? :smile:

Yes I am thank goodness!
Original post by Scotney
Yes I am thank goodness!

Hurrah!
I'll start with the good: no giant grey bar at the top! Well, I guess it's technically still there, but slightly smaller and in blue to match the rest of the header. Doesn't look anywhere near as bad.

The not so good: the quick reply box, which I use for all posts, seems to be lacking any formatting buttons. Hopefully that's all still to come, but if this is intended purely for text-only quick replies, I'm going to have to adjust how I post (or manually add tags... but then there's no preview function to check whether I've messed anything up).

The dropdown menus at the top of the page - if I move the cursor away from them causing them to disappear, but then move the cursor back to where they were, they reappear. Several times, I've tried to click a button or something in a post, only to have those menus reappear right where I just clicked and send me to a different thread/forum/article.

Avatars look smaller than the 50x50 that was the maximum (for those without a paid subscription) when I signed up in 2005. Makes it a little harder to see who's who.

Hyperlinks seem to default to the same black colour as ordinary text (rather than the traditional blue), though with an underline. At least that's what's happened in the few old threads I've looked at. Not so obvious that the link is there.

No hyperlinks in post numbers is going to be annoying when trying to direct to a specific post.

It's all a bit blinding, the sides being a much paler grey, almost white, compared with the slightly darker sidebars of ST2. It's only subtle, but I do think it makes a difference.

And my username is green. :shakecane:

I could see myself liking this more than ST2 (which isn't a high bar to clear). But I'm going to have to give my eyes a rest now.
(edited 6 months ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending