The Student Room Group

Homepage loading issues

The main part of the homepage
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/
Seems to be all greyed out. Id post the image but ... Echo the comment about about the bold (new) notifications being hard to distinguish on windows/chrome and being able to easily see which threads youve replied to (small pen on same colour icon).

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by mqb2766
Seems to be all greyed out. Id post the image but ... Echo the comment about about the bold (new) notifications being hard to distinguish on windows/chrome and being able to easily see which threads youve replied to (small pen on same colour icon).

Agreed, the home page is not rendering for me (Chrome/Android).
Original post by mqb2766

I'll flag up the homepage issue, thank you! I'll make a note of the other issues you've raised too :smile:
Original post by mqb2766

Thank you for flagging these issues - I've created a new thread for you so we can keep track of this under our new feedback process, and I'll let you know when we have any updates :smile:
@DFranklin tagging you in as you'd also raised this :smile:
Reply 5
Problem Summary
Homepage greying out

Problem Details
As above Also no rep showing

Device
Mobile

Browser
Chrome

Link

Additional Information
Notificationss still not fixed
Problem Summary
Homepage not showing anything

Problem Details
On the new react homepage, my feed doesn't actually load. I get the loading screen and then an error message eventually comes up.

Device
Mobile

Browser
Chrome

Link

Additional Information
Oh, update, now it tells me I'm "up to date"

Does this mean I've seen all TSR has to offer me? Iknow I use this site too much but I didn't think I'd break the recommendations algorithm :tongue:

The same has been happening all week via the app, so not sure that this is a cache problem
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by 04MR17
See screenshot

Same thing for me

IMG_1394.png

50 seconds to get this on homepage
Along with apparently having no watched threads (despite watching 14 thousand odd threads), I also have no followers too
@04MR17 @Scotney thanks for raising. I've merged into this thread to keep the homepage/feed performance issues together.

The development team are working on this now 🙂
I stopped timing the loading at 10 min and 22 sec

Original post by Talkative Toad

50 seconds to get this on homepage
Reply 13
Original post by 04MR17

Its taking a minute for me to get an empty page. No stopwatch though.
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by 04MR17

10 mins? That’s extreme
Original post by Talkative Toad
10 mins? That’s extreme

Well it just doesn't load, that's not the loading time - 10 mins is the time I gave up waiting.

And the thing about this to a new user is that they wouldn't know that they could scroll past this, especially on mobile.
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by 04MR17
Well it just doesn't load, that's not the loading time - 10 mins is the time I gave up waiting.

And the thing about this to a new user is that they wouldn't know that they could scroll past this, especially on mobile.

That’s true as you need to do a lot of scrolling before you see “latest discussions” on mobile.
Hey folks, I'm hoping you find things slightly more speedy and stable today? I've been working through the various performance issues and most of them are under control now (I have a couple of known issues left to fix)

@04MR17 it is actually possible that you've broken the system... The feed will try not to show you threads which haven't been updated since you last viewed them, so there is a definite edge case for particularly active users! I'll take a look into your case specifically today and see what's happening.

Thanks again for your patience!
Reply 18
Original post by ldo21
Hey folks, I'm hoping you find things slightly more speedy and stable today? I've been working through the various performance issues and most of them are under control now (I have a couple of known issues left to fix)

@04MR17 it is actually possible that you've broken the system... The feed will try not to show you threads which haven't been updated since you last viewed them, so there is a definite edge case for particularly active users! I'll take a look into your case specifically today and see what's happening.

Thanks again for your patience!

Im getting ~8s to load on chrome/basic windows laptop, so the "For You" section is greyed out for a bit, but probably liveable with. It was similar earlier so guessing its a bit more stable than yesterday.

Might seem a bit churlish, but the relevance of the For You links is low and the Watching (and Following) section is completely empty, so for me Home is not useful, unfortunately.
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by mqb2766
Im getting ~8s to load on chrome/basic windows laptop, so the "For You" section is greyed out for a bit, but probably liveable with. It was similar earlier so guessing its a bit more stable than yesterday.

Might seem a bit churlish, but the relevance of the For You links is low and the Watching (and Following) section is completely empty, so for me Home is not useful, unfortunately.

Agreed that For You etc. is useless (I'm probably a bit of an outlier in terms of typical TSR interests, but what it shows basically seems a totally random scattering of threads).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending