The Student Room Group

Psychology, Biology and ???

I've heard that A-Level combinations are just as important as the grades you achieve in the exams, and at the moment, I'm a little confused about what A-Levels I should choose in order to (hopefully) study Psychology at University in the future.
For definite, I want to study Psychology and Biology for A-Levels, but I don't know what other A-Levels I could take that would complement well with these subjects. I'm aware that the sciences and also Maths are highly recommended for psychology courses, however, the most I'm willing to do is Biology, because Chemistry, Physics and Maths aren't subjects I particularly enjoy at GCSE, so I wouldn't really want to do them at A-Level.
But, I am considering more 'humanities' based subjects as options, in particular, History, Sociology and possibly also English Lit.
History I do at GCSE, and is probably one of my best subjects, hence why I want to study it at A-Level. I find the content interesting and like the essay writing aspect, which I'm quite strong at, but I'm not sure if it would be suitable with my other subjects?
Sociology is another one I'm considering, because it seems to complement Psychology well, and I've been reading a bit about it. It could also interest me as a potential A-Level option, however, I am slightly apprehensive about it because I keep seeing it being presented as a 'soft' A-Level, that isn't highly respected?
English Lit I do well in at GCSE, I also find it a fascinating subject and thoroughly enjoy writing essays and improving my writing over time. I also enjoy analysing language too, but I don't know if it would help much with Psychology.
I should add that I also do Economics at GCSE so that may also be an option at A-Level, considering there is some maths in that course which could help maybe? Probably not but because I have prior knowledge it could be easier for me.
Can anyone suggest which A-Levels, either out of this selection or any other subjects, could match well with Psychology and Biology???
(edited 9 months ago)
Hi! I just graduated from my Psych degree and for a levels I took Psychology, Sociology and History!

A levels subjects largely won’t matter for the vast majority of universities if you want to do a Psychology degree, they care way more about your grades. They like to have “at least one science subject” (though my uni and many others I looked at included Psychology and Geography in this list), and some like two.

I think Psychology & Biology are definitely great choices, and I would personally recommend Sociology. It does complement Psychology really well, and depending on which exam boards you’d be doing, you could be doing similar topics at the same time. For example, I did crime topics in both Sociology and Psychology at the same time, and it was super interesting to have both the societal perspective and the human mind perspective.
Original post by emelini
I've heard that A-Level combinations are just as important as the grades you achieve in the exams, and at the moment, I'm a little confused about what A-Levels I should choose in order to (hopefully) study Psychology at University in the future.
For definite, I want to study Psychology and Biology for A-Levels, but I don't know what other A-Levels I could take that would complement well with these subjects. I'm aware that the sciences and also Maths are highly recommended for psychology courses, however, the most I'm willing to do is Biology, because Chemistry, Physics and Maths aren't subjects I particularly enjoy at GCSE, so I wouldn't really want to do them at A-Level.
But, I am considering more 'humanities' based subjects as options, in particular, History, Sociology and possibly also English Lit.
History I do at GCSE, and is probably one of my best subjects, hence why I want to study it at A-Level. I find the content interesting and like the essay writing aspect, which I'm quite strong at, but I'm not sure if it would be suitable with my other subjects?
Sociology is another one I'm considering, because it seems to complement Psychology well, and I've been reading a bit about it. It could also interest me as a potential A-Level option, however, I am slightly apprehensive about it because I keep seeing it being presented as a 'soft' A-Level, that isn't highly respected?
English Lit I do well in at GCSE, I also find it a fascinating subject and thoroughly enjoy writing essays and improving my writing over time. I also enjoy analysing language too, but I don't know if it would help much with Psychology.
I should add that I also do Economics at GCSE so that may also be an option at A-Level, considering there is some maths in that course which could help maybe? Probably not but because I have prior knowledge it could be easier for me.
Can anyone suggest which A-Levels, either out of this selection or any other subjects, could match well with Psychology and Biology???

It really wont matter. Take whatever you will do well in and enjoy. Sociology is probably the best fit but if you are extremely good at History and enjoy it why not take it.
i personally do biology, psychology and maths. i've seen a lot of people take biology, psychology, chemistry and also biology, psychology, sociology. most unis ask for 1/2 science subjects so you are completely fine with biology and psychology, so whilst it might be easier (personal statement wise) to take 3 subjects that typically go together, taking history/economics/another humanities subject won't impact you that much :smile:
Do whatever you enjoy most. Psychology and biology cover the entry requirements, and you will do by far the best at a subject you enjoy and want to put the work into :smile: it also gives you a broader range if you change your mind on what you want to do!
(edited 9 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest