The Student Room Group

What A levels should I choose?

Hey! Im currently in Year 11 and need to finalise my a level options ASAP and I have not a clue what to do heres what im thinking:
-Maths
-Business
-Biology
-AS psychology
But im not so sure if I should take biology as ive heard its not as highly seen as the other sciences but I also prefer biology, also im not sure If theres a point in taking only one of the sciences as alot of courses require biology and chemistry so Im not sure if it will just be extra work for no reason to take biology. Has anyone took only biology? And do you think it was worth the effort? Or should I not do it and try take an essay based subject as I don't have one of those yet.
Also I'm quite sure I want to take maths and business despite business being seen as a soft subject as I like these subjects and im especially good at business although most people are.
Thank you I know this was a lot.

PS I have no idea what I want to do later in life for a decree or job so would like to keep options open.
(edited 12 months ago)
Reply 1
Im y13 and I do psychology but aside from that biology is not seen as 'lesser' especially with the fact that you're not also taking like physics alongside it or something like that, plus biology is the one you prefer and that makes a massive difference at a level
Original post by T1lly
Hey! Im currently in Year 11 and need to finalise my a level options ASAP and I have not a clue what to do heres what im thinking:
-Maths
-Business
-Biology
-AS psychology
But im not so sure if I should take biology as ive heard its not as highly seen as the other sciences but I also prefer biology, also im not sure If theres a point in taking only one of the sciences as alot of courses require biology and chemistry so Im not sure if it will just be extra work for no reason to take biology. Has anyone took only biology? And do you think it was worth the effort? Or should I not do it and try take an essay based subject as I don't have one of those yet.
Also I'm quite sure I want to take maths and business despite business being seen as a soft subject as I like these subjects and im especially good at business although most people are.

PS I have no idea what I want to do later in life for a decree or job so would like to keep options open.

Biology is a good subject definitely none of those are seen as 'soft' but bio has a lot of content - I'm y12 and only just finished half the course so far and it is a lot of words, theories and facts to learn so bear that in mind.

4 A-levels (even tho 1 is an AS) is long and a lot of work so just check you want to do the AS because many unis don't count an AS or see them as as valuable as the full course.

Options people I know who chose those subjects you wrote:
Maths + Business + Psychology
Maths + Psychology + Biology
Maths + Business + Biology (if you're thinking of a sciencey route then this keeps your options open well)

Obviously you can do an AS too but personally having end of y12 exams in a week it would stress me out more if one of the subjects was a final grade if you get me compared to all being predicted grades for uni.

If you do one of those courses I think you'll be ok - you can always do an EPQ if you fancy a bit of essay-based writing on top of it.
Original post by T1lly
-Maths
-Business
-Biology
-AS psychology

I thought of taking Biology A-level but decided against it because it simply has a lot of content. Psychology was better for me, there isn't that much content. Psychology is essay-based to some degree, while having some bio content and less content than Biology A-level.

Quick Reply

Latest