The Student Room Group

should i drop biology?

hey,
i’m a y12 student who is currently studying biology, french and spanish. i have never really been “good” at any sciences in general and got 5-6 at GCSE. however, since i would like to study psychology at university, i was advised to take biology by my head of sixth form earlier this year. i wasn’t happy with this decision from the start but i decided i would stick with it and try my hardest. so far, i’m finding it incredibly difficult, there’s a lot more maths than i expected, i find most concepts hard to grasp and i haven’t done great in any of the practice exams we have done so far. this is making me rethink if i even want to take psychology and university and i honestly feel really stuck on what steps to take next.

does anyone have any advice?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
hey,
i’m a y12 student who is currently studying biology, french and spanish. i have never really been “good” at any sciences in general and got 5-6 at GCSE. however, since i would like to study psychology at university, i was advised to take biology by my head of sixth form earlier this year. i wasn’t happy with this decision from the start but i decided i would stick with it and try my hardest. so far, i’m finding it incredibly difficult, there’s a lot more maths than i expected, i find most concepts hard to grasp and i haven’t done great in any of the practice exams we have done so far. this is making me rethink if i even want to take psychology and university and i honestly feel really stuck on what steps to take next.

I would say take psychology when you drop biology. Because psychology will be a good A-level to have for studying psychology at university and universities would look more favourably at you if you have an A-level in psychology. However, one thing I would say is that if you decided to drop biology and take psychology instead, you would most likely be behind in the taught content for psychology meaning that you would have to catch up a lot on the content, which may be stressful, but worth it if you believe that you will do better in psychology than biology, this is my advice anyway, but its up to you!
Good luck with your studies :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Alonepast
I would say take psychology when you drop biology. Because psychology will be a good A-level to have for studying psychology at university and universities would look more favourably at you if you have an A-level in psychology. However, one thing I would say is that if you decided to drop biology and take psychology instead, you would most likely be behind in the taught content for psychology meaning that you would have to catch up a lot on the content, which may be stressful, but worth it if you believe that you will do better in psychology than biology, this is my advice anyway, but its up to you!
Good luck with your studies :smile:

i would have 100% taken psychology instead, the thing is, my sixth form doesn’t offer it 🥹 i should have probably included that in my original post though. i’m honestly really stuck on what a level to choose instead though, because the only other options i have are physics or business.
Have you got any universities in mind
If so what are the entry requirements for these courses
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
i would have 100% taken psychology instead, the thing is, my sixth form doesn’t offer it 🥹 i should have probably included that in my original post though. i’m honestly really stuck on what a level to choose instead though, because the only other options i have are physics or business.

Does your school offer sociology? Because sociology is quite similar to psychology in some ways. I took Psychology, Sociology and Health & social care for A-levels and I am seeing a lot of overlap between Psychology and Sociology. It may be a suitable alternative which universities may look favourably at.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous #1
hey,

Just do biology for A level and try to get a good grade. Then you can do psychology in uni.

Quick Reply

Latest