The Student Room Group

any advice for starting uni as an introvert in nursing.

hello, ill be starting university this year and studying mental health nursing. I'm very introverted and somewhat scared, knowing that ill be in a completely different place. I'm also scared, like if I don't make friends and ill be stuck in my shell.
in terms of mental health nursing, does anyone have anything advice for studying this course and university overall?
Reply 1
This is a very nice program. But you have to prepare yourself to do a lot of reading and research.
Original post by mylifeasci
hello, ill be starting university this year and studying mental health nursing. I'm very introverted and somewhat scared, knowing that ill be in a completely different place. I'm also scared, like if I don't make friends and ill be stuck in my shell.
in terms of mental health nursing, does anyone have anything advice for studying this course and university overall?

Hi there @mylifeasci :smile:

Great to hear that you are going to be starting university this year!

Heading to university for the first time is exciting but can also be a bit overwhelming as it's something new. This is completely normal, the important thing is to remember you're not alone, there are lots of other new students who will be feeling similar. University is a great place to meet new friends, I would recommend trying to attend a welcome/freshers event if you can as this will be a great opportunity to meet new people before starting your course.

Joining clubs or societies while at university is also a great way to make friends who share similar interests to yourself outside your course. Your university may also have a online community group you could join to meet those on your course prior to you starting.

I hope this helps. :smile:

All the best,
Sarah
Original post by mylifeasci

Hey @mylifeasci, how are you? :smile:

What an exciting new chapter of your life! Don't worry about all the nerves, it's completely normal. Being introverted doesn't mean you can't make friends or thrive, just embrace your personality and just know it's always okay to take some time for yourself to recharge and relax!

Take advantage of orientation and welcome events organised by the uni as they are a great way to help new students get to know each other and become familiar with campus life. Have a think about joining some societies to meet likeminded people, which ultimately will help in making conversation with people! You could also look into volunteering opportunities or become a student ambassador as ways of meeting new people.

You'll have your professors and academic advisors around whenever you need some help with your studies, they are there to support you throughout your academic journey. If you feel overwhelmed and need someone to talk to you'll be able to reach out to the uni's counselling services too.

Just be kind to yourself and remember it's okay to face challenges, adjusting to uni life takes time, it's a completely new chapter in your life. I'm sure you'll make some fab friendships!

Mental Health Nursing sounds like such a great and interesting degree! A tip from me would be to try stay organised and manage your time effectively so you can reduce the stress and make sure you stay on top of course work. Just embrace all the learning opportunities that come your way :smile:

Good luck with your studies and enjoy your university journey! :smile:

Becky

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending