The Student Room Group

Writing a personal statement is putting me off applying for university

I'm a mature student who's currently on an access course, and I'm at the point where I need to write a personal statement for uni applications. I have tried numerous times to start it, I've made multiple mind maps, plans, tried to follow all of the advice online and from my college tutor. But I'm really struggling to even know where to start.
When I get asked why I want to study the course, I don't have this amazing reason. I just do. I don't have any achievements, hobbies or qualifications to talk about and I did really rubbish at school, I feel really stuck and I'm just about ready to call it a day on the uni plan.
Does anyone have any ideas about what I can do here? I've given up my life for this and I'm so frustrated and upset at myself that I can't do it.
Original post by enc1000
I'm a mature student who's currently on an access course, and I'm at the point where I need to write a personal statement for uni applications. I have tried numerous times to start it, I've made multiple mind maps, plans, tried to follow all of the advice online and from my college tutor. But I'm really struggling to even know where to start.
When I get asked why I want to study the course, I don't have this amazing reason. I just do. I don't have any achievements, hobbies or qualifications to talk about and I did really rubbish at school, I feel really stuck and I'm just about ready to call it a day on the uni plan.
Does anyone have any ideas about what I can do here? I've given up my life for this and I'm so frustrated and upset at myself that I can't do it.

You don't need a super amazing reason to put down in your personal statement, unless you're applying to do Medicine. You just need a reason (it can literally be that you like it) and show that you know a little about the subject and are interested in it.

Hobbies and things aren't really too relevant for your personal statement. On both personal statements I've written I only briefly mentioned hobbies (a literal line, nothing more), it's no biggie.

Starting a personal statement is very daunting so my advice is to just go ahead and start it. Open your computer and start writing down things you want to say in your personal statement. Don't worry about the structure, just write whatever pops into your head and then go back and rearrange it. Don't give up!

Out of curiosity, what course are you applying for?
Reply 2
Original post by Scotland Yard
You don't need a super amazing reason to put down in your personal statement, unless you're applying to do Medicine. You just need a reason (it can literally be that you like it) and show that you know a little about the subject and are interested in it.

Hobbies and things aren't really too relevant for your personal statement. On both personal statements I've written I only briefly mentioned hobbies (a literal line, nothing more), it's no biggie.

Starting a personal statement is very daunting so my advice is to just go ahead and start it. Open your computer and start writing down things you want to say in your personal statement. Don't worry about the structure, just write whatever pops into your head and then go back and rearrange it. Don't give up!

Out of curiosity, what course are you applying for?

I'm applying for Adult Nursing, but I'm going to see if I can get into a dual-award course for adult and children. Everyone is going on about it being really competitive and I think that is stressing me out more.

I've tried to put whatever comes into my head but it doesn't seem to work. The most I can get is bullet points, with no idea how to put them into coherent piece of writing.
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by enc1000
I'm applying for Adult Nursing, but I'm going to see if I can get into a dual-award course for adult and children. Everyone is going on about it being really competitive and I think that is stressing me out more.

I've tried to put whatever comes into my head but it doesn't seem to work. The most I can get is bullet points, with no idea how to put them into coherent piece of writing.

If you’re applying for a nursing course, why do you want to be a nurse? What do you know about the role and what experiences do you have which align with being a nurse? Have you heard of the six C’s? (I’m of the opinion they’re absolute rubbish, but nursing admissions tutors love them).

It might be worthwhile posting in the nursing section of TSR for some pointers, there’s likely threads in that section that might help with ideas too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending