The Student Room Group

I haven’t even started uni yet and I don’t know how I’m going to afford rent

After reading that price of student accommodation I applied for was £169 a week and my student loan was £163 in London I thought I would be fine. I can afford an extra £6 a week. What I didn’t know was that my uni wants 40% of the rent on the first and second rent instalment on the 33% of student loans and then wants 20% of rent when I’m getting 34% of my student loan. This means rather than having to do an extra £90-95 payment per term- I will have to make up the difference of £524 for the first and second term and then gain £852 on my last student maintenance loan. Is this normal? Surely they wouldn’t expect someone to do this? I will be getting minimum help from parents so will be working to pay for all food and all money that isn’t student finance which means I will not be able to afford this extra £524 payment on top of eating and living. If I called them up and explained do you think they would change the rent percentage’s to the same one’s on student finance?
Reply 1
I don't think they change the percentages, hopefully you find a solution to your situation
They do the money really weird so for me the first term is 13 weeks then 11 then 9 so the accommodation is most expensive in the first term but I get most of the student loan in the third term which doesn't make much sense
Hopefully they sort this out, maybe contact the uni team and see if there is anything they can do to support you
Bring up your concerns with them. And if you are in a position where you can't afford rent I'm sure you will qualify for bursaries the uni or external providers (gov, student finance) offer.
That's the broken SFE system. Just because parents earn such and such does not mean they can afford to pay for their kids accommodation costs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending