The Student Room Group

Rent due on the 1st but don't get loan until the 8th

Hello, I go to uni and live in a private student house, the rent is £1200 per term. I recently noticed that the rent for this term is due on the first of January however I don't get my student finance until the 8th of January, I did contact sfe but they said they couldn't do anything unless I'd have contacted them over 11 working days prior to needing the money, we usually pay the money to our letting agent rather than the landlord directly, I tried contacting them but discovered they aren't open until the 5th of January, so I am kind of stuck as I can't pay the rent on time, and don't want this to affect my credit, what do I do?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hello, I go to uni and live in a private student house, the rent is £1200 per term. I recently noticed that the rent for this term is due on the first of January however I don't get my student finance until the 8th of January, I did contact sfe but they said they couldn't do anything unless I'd have contacted them over 11 working days prior to needing the money, we usually pay the money to our letting agent rather than the landlord directly, I tried contacting them but discovered they aren't open until the 5th of January, so I am kind of stuck as I can't pay the rent on time, and don't want this to affect my credit, what do I do?

Are you in a position to ask your parents to lend you money on the understanding that they'll repay you as soon as you get your student finance?

Otherwise, I personally would pay as much as I could reasonably afford now, and pay the rest as soon as the student finance arrives in my account. I'd also mail the letting agent now to apologise and explain what I was doing and why. It's much better to tell the agent up front what's happening.

Whatever you do, don't do this again.
Original post by Anonymous

I'd second the advice posted above and see what kind of arranged overdraft you can get with your student bank account. An easy way to do some short-term money borrowing.
Reply 3
When i lived in student housing we just paid our rent when our student loan came in as they were aware of loan dates, so im sure it wont be an issue, just ring up on the 5th and explain.
Two options:
1) Go into your overdraft (assuming you have one that won't cost you). This is what your overdraft is for.

2) Don't pay the rent for 8 days, phone the agent on the 5th to explain this.
Original post by Anonymous #1

Don't worry, in the same position (kinda)

For context, my mum is a single parent, so cannot help. My dad doesn't lend a penny, either. My rent is a bit more, around 1800 per term. Before moving to university, I contacted my landlord and asked if there was any way to pay the rent termly, in which he agreed. We had a phone conversation AND a telephone call so it was in writing.

Some universities offer student money packages, both loans and money you do not need to pay back - for example, mine does a Student Living Package that you don't pay back, around 375 a term.

Best of luck to you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending