The Student Room Group

I'm Concerned about my Friend

I went to uni in the holidays to return some books and help my friend out with her supplementary exams revision. I found out she had failed all previous attempts and is now on her third and final attempt for her exam.

It was a module from her first year and she passed the coursework for the module, but she wasn't passing her exam. I then found out yesterday; that she didn't bother going to her exam because she wanted to focus on her year 2 exams instead.

Will she be able to continue studying at uni? I'm worried because she's a good friend and we're literally going to go into our final year of studying.
Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
bump
Original post by Anonymous
I went to uni in the holidays to return some books and help my friend out with her supplementary exams revision. I found out she had failed all previous attempts and is now on her third and final attempt for her exam.

It was a module from her first year and she passed the coursework for the module, but she wasn't passing her exam. I then found out yesterday; that she didn't bother going to her exam because she wanted to focus on her year 2 exams instead.

Will she be able to continue studying at uni? I'm worried because she's a good friend and we're literally going to go into our final year of studying.

Hey!

I understand your concerns and it’s lovely that you care so much about your friend.

I would suggest talking to your friend and maybe giving her some advice. Maybe she could reach out to your course leader or someone else at the uni for some support? You could offer to help her study for the exam you’re talking about. It’s sounds like maybe your friend just struggles with exams. We all have our strong points and I know for myself, exams are my weakness and I always do better with coursework.

It’s great that she has your support but I would also advise not letting your friends worries get on top of you. You don’t want to take on too much and then have your own work effected. Of course you’re being a good friend and want to support her, which you can do. But you can’t make your friend do anything and at the end of the day it is her responsibility. Support and advice but don’t overwhelm yourself :smile: I’ve made this mistake in the past and learnt the hard way.

I hope your friend works things out and that this doesn’t become too stressful for you or her!

Sophie (ARU) :smile:
Reply 4
If she fails the last chance saloon exam then her options are going to be y limited. In my place, the exam board might hold her back a year or they might withdraw. Those are the two options at this sort of juncture, basically.
Reply 5
Original post by ARUStudents
Hey!

I understand your concerns and it’s lovely that you care so much about your friend.

I would suggest talking to your friend and maybe giving her some advice. Maybe she could reach out to your course leader or someone else at the uni for some support? You could offer to help her study for the exam you’re talking about. It’s sounds like maybe your friend just struggles with exams. We all have our strong points and I know for myself, exams are my weakness and I always do better with coursework.

It’s great that she has your support but I would also advise not letting your friends worries get on top of you. You don’t want to take on too much and then have your own work effected. Of course you’re being a good friend and want to support her, which you can do. But you can’t make your friend do anything and at the end of the day it is her responsibility. Support and advice but don’t overwhelm yourself :smile: I’ve made this mistake in the past and learnt the hard way.

I hope your friend works things out and that this doesn’t become too stressful for you or her!

Sophie (ARU) :smile:

Thanks for your response, unfortunately she doesn't put as much effort as she should be doing into her work, always working on things a few days before a deadline and panicking when it happens; it's the honest truth. Our friend group has been very supportive of her and we all care about her a lot; I guess you could say we 'carried' her to where she is now. I have made the same mistake of taking on her responsibilities in the past but I can't do that anymore, you're right; especially because we're supposed to be entering 3rd year and I'm on target for a First. I'd like her to finish her degree with us and I know she wants to do well, but she's let things go too far this time with being so relaxed and it 's not looking good with her having to resit 4 of her other exams. There's only so much i can do for her and I feel bad for her :frown:
Reply 6
Original post by gjd800
If she fails the last chance saloon exam then her options are going to be y limited. In my place, the exam board might hold her back a year or they might withdraw. Those are the two options at this sort of juncture, basically.

Thank you for your reply, that sounds really stressful tbh. She did mention that she might apply for Extenuating Circumstances for that exam she skipped; saying she was unable to attend the exam for medical reasons (she had a minor operation a few months ago and she's recovering from that), but the thing is she attended another exam literally the day after she skipped this one. (Skipped the exam on Tuesday morning but went to the exam on Wednesday Morning.) Based on that, I don't know how it's going to work out for her
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you for your reply, that sounds really stressful tbh. She did mention that she might apply for Extenuating Circumstances for that exam she skipped; saying she was unable to attend the exam for medical reasons (she had a minor operation a few months ago and she's recovering from that), but the thing is she attended another exam literally the day after she skipped this one. (Skipped the exam on Tuesday morning but went to the exam on Wednesday Morning.) Based on that, I don't know how it's going to work out for her

I work with students with legit MCs every day (and some that try to blag it). If it was minor and months ago, they possibly won't be inclined - add in the attendance the next day and it's not a great look, that is unless she could demonstrate a reason why she was unable to go on one day and not the other.

The other thing is that for MCs she should have informed them on the day, not weeks after the fact. Some places are less stringent than others, but in general terms no institution is usually minded to give retrospective MCs. But if everything is on the line, she has to try. Well, provided she even wants to see out the degree!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending