The Student Room Group

Talking to people ?

Why would a guy continue to talk to people who gossip about him and have tried to tell his now girlfriend to not talk to him?

Why would he continue to text, talk and hang out with them?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Because he's the bigger person and is showing he can rise above gossip?
People are complicated, and friendships and relationships are complicated. There isn't enough information in the post to give any sort of definitive answer, but there could be many reasons why. Broadly it's likely either that he has a different view on the negative aspects that you've highlighted and/or he thinks that the benefits of continuing to be friends with that group outweigh the negatives.
Reply 3
Original post by Surnia
Because he's the bigger person and is showing he can rise above gossip?

One of the women in thr group likes him and she is the reason why his gf was even told to not talk to him. He knows this but does not know who the woman is.
Reply 4
Original post by Crazy Jamie
People are complicated, and friendships and relationships are complicated. There isn't enough information in the post to give any sort of definitive answer, but there could be many reasons why. Broadly it's likely either that he has a different view on the negative aspects that you've highlighted and/or he thinks that the benefits of continuing to be friends with that group outweigh the negatives.

They aren't even his friends. He does not consider them as a his good or close friends
Reply 5
Original post by Pkyek
Why would a guy continue to talk to people who gossip about him and have tried to tell his now girlfriend to not talk to him?

Why would he continue to text, talk and hang out with them?

Ask him, though why is it any concern of yours?
Reply 6
Original post by Surnia
Ask him, though why is it any concern of yours?

Because I'm his gf and I have told him three times about this, he tells me to tell then to **** off or mind their own business yet continues to talk to them?
Original post by Pkyek
They aren't even his friends. He does not consider them as a his good or close friends

Doesn't change my answer. People can have several different friendship groups and the make up of those groups or the closeness of a person to them can change over time. Ultimately it's his decision who he spends his time with. If you don't think he should spend time with this particular group then feel free to tell him that, but he's perfectly entitled to make his own decision. In which case, as his girlfriend, you should accept it.
Reply 8
Original post by Pkyek
Because I'm his gf and I have told him three times about this, he tells me to tell then to **** off or mind their own business yet continues to talk to them?

So why are you talking about yourself in the third person and why are you 'telling' him and not 'discussing with' him? And do you not understand sarcasm?
Reply 9
Original post by Surnia
So why are you talking about yourself in the third person and why are you 'telling' him and not 'discussing with' him? And do you not understand sarcasm?

I wrote already I told him three times. Says tell them yo **** off, mind their own business but won't do it himself
Reply 10
Original post by Crazy Jamie
Doesn't change my answer. People can have several different friendship groups and the make up of those groups or the closeness of a person to them can change over time. Ultimately it's his decision who he spends his time with. If you don't think he should spend time with this particular group then feel free to tell him that, but he's perfectly entitled to make his own decision. In which case, as his girlfriend, you should accept it.

Original post by Pkyek

More
Reply 11
Original post by Pkyek
I wrote already I told him three times. Says tell them yo **** off, mind their own business but won't do it himself

'Told'; exactly my point.

He doesn't care, so you shouldn't either.
Reply 12
Original post by Surnia
'Told'; exactly my point.

He doesn't care, so you shouldn't either.

But there is a girl who likes him and she keeps trying to get his attention. She talks to me at times but she clearly doesn't like me by her body language and she's in group chats with him etc. I dont understand why he doesn't care. She and her friends keep eyeing me whenever they see me and she used to ask him out for lunch/drinks which has declined once

Should I cease all contact with him?
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by Pkyek
But there is a girl who likes him and she keeps trying to get his attention. She talks to me at times but she clearly doesn't like me by her body language and she's in group chats with him etc. I dont understand why he doesn't care. She and her friends keep eyeing me whenever they see me and she used to ask him out for lunch/drinks which has declined once

You shouldn't, and you shouldn't not/stop talking with him.

Don't be so dumb, don't you see you are his gf. However this other girl wants to be his gf, they want you to stop talking to him to push you out the way so this girl can become his gf.

It doesn't look like he is interested in her so has told you to ignore it/them. Don't go along with stop talking to your bf or you play into their hands.

The girl and her group of friends are her friends not yours. They don't have your interest at heart they are all batting for this girl who is their friends who wants to get with your bf. They are toxic people acting in a toxic manner. Stay with your bf and ignore the rubbish they say and if you can get you and your bf to stay away from them. They will only be an ongoing nuisance otherwise with their own selfish interests at heart.
Reply 14
Original post by Pkyek

Yes.
Reply 15
Original post by Katerina S.
You shouldn't, and you shouldn't not/stop talking with him.

Don't be so dumb, don't you see you are his gf. However this other girl wants to be his gf, they want you to stop talking to him to push you out the way so this girl can become his gf.

It doesn't look like he is interested in her so has told you to ignore it/them. Don't go along with stop talking to your bf or you play into their hands.

The girl and her group of friends are her friends not yours. They don't have your interest at heart they are all batting for this girl who is their friends who wants to get with your bf. They are toxic people acting in a toxic manner. Stay with your bf and ignore the rubbish they say and if you can get you and your bf to stay away from them. They will only be an ongoing nuisance otherwise with their own selfish interests at heart.

But he's not cutting contact himself? He studies in the same study space as them and is friends with a guy who is also friends with the girl. These students are Japanese and they all are friends including the guy my bf is friends with.

When I voiced my concerns he still didn't. Instead tells me to tell them to **** off. Why not do it himself?
These 4 women keep staring at me and I don't even know the 3 of them except the girl who likes him
Reply 16
Original post by Surnia
Yes.

Now you are saying yes. Why ?

Original post by Pkyek
But he's not cutting contact himself? He studies in the same study space as them and is friends with a guy who is also friends with the girl. These students are Japanese and they all are friends including the guy my bf is friends with.

When I voiced my concerns he still didn't. Instead tells me to tell them to **** off. Why not do it himself?
These 4 women keep staring at me and I don't even know the 3 of them except the girl who likes him
Reply 17
Original post by Pkyek
Now you are saying yes. Why ?

Post #2.
Reply 18
Original post by Surnia
Post #2.

A bigger person won't care about his gf?
Reply 19
Original post by Pkyek
A bigger person won't care about his gf?

A gf would care for him being the bigger person.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending