The Student Room Group

Natural science course

what is the difference between biological and physical natural science?
Original post by Omithekitten06
what is the difference between biological and physical natural science?

Hello! The difference is primarily the route you can take through the course, by way of the modules you end up choosing and the A Levels (or equivalent) required to take modules in you first year. For example, you wouldn't be able to take the Physics module in first year if you didn't take Physics A Level. You can find a break down here: https://www.natsci.tripos.cam.ac.uk/subject-information/part1a

It's also determined by your interests! Do you want to focus on more biological aspects of the sciences, or the more physical ones?

However, there is a lot of flexibility within the course and so you are never really tied in to either the Biological or Physics route, especially as many modules fall in a grey area!

What A Levels (or equivalent qualification) are you taking? Typically those taking combinations such as Biology, Chemistry and Maths would apply for Biological Natural Sciences, and those taking Physics, Maths and Further Maths would apply for Physical Natural Sciences.
Original post by Pembroke Rep
Hello! The difference is primarily the route you can take through the course, by way of the modules you end up choosing and the A Levels (or equivalent) required to take modules in you first year. For example, you wouldn't be able to take the Physics module in first year if you didn't take Physics A Level. You can find a break down here: https://www.natsci.tripos.cam.ac.uk/subject-information/part1a

It's also determined by your interests! Do you want to focus on more biological aspects of the sciences, or the more physical ones?

However, there is a lot of flexibility within the course and so you are never really tied in to either the Biological or Physics route, especially as many modules fall in a grey area!

What A Levels (or equivalent qualification) are you taking? Typically those taking combinations such as Biology, Chemistry and Maths would apply for Biological Natural Sciences, and those taking Physics, Maths and Further Maths would apply for Physical Natural Sciences.

Thank you! I'm about to start year 12 this September and I'm thinking of taking math, Fm, chemistry and either biology or physics.
Thank you! I'm about to start year 12 this September and I'm thinking of taking math, Fm, chemistry and either biology or physics.

Would Physics for uni entrances be a lot harder compared to the A level course?
From what I've seen noted in the past, it seems to be essentially a construction for the admissions process to ensure you get an interview panel appropriate to your interests/A-level subjects. Once you actually start the only limitation, other than timetabling, for your choices in NatSci will be Director of Studies sign off I believe?

Sounds like a great combination of subjects. If you choose Biology then you'd likely apply for the Biological route, and if you choose Physics then you'd likely apply for the Physical route.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending