The Student Room Group

feofejfoe

iererirehoirferggrrg
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by coicoi
hi everyone

i just finished my first year studying the language and culture programme at UCL, but am now thinking of either transferring courses internally (if possible), or deferring and reapplying via UCAS to oxford for 2024 entry. although i've highly enjoyed aspects of the course, i feel i've made a mistake in studying such a language-focused degree.

i'm particularly interested in the theology & religion programme. i meet the a level requirements (AAA), and achieved 68% in my first year (brought down rather significantly by some of my language modules - for example, i achieved 80%+ in various essays unrelated to languages, which i could submit as my written piece).

do you think i'd have much of a chance of getting accepted onto the course? i took a gap year, so i'd technically be considered a mature student (i'll be 21 when the course begins) and i understand oxford can be quite selective taking students in from other institutions. i also feel my chances could be hindered by the fact that i'm older, and that the degree i'm currently studying is pretty different. would really appreciate any responses - if it's very unlikely, i'll make more of an effort to transfer internally.

cheers

Oxford don't accept applications from students currently enrolled in another course. You would need to drop out entirely (which you'd want to do to avoid running out of SFE funding anyway) in order to apply. Can't have your cake and eat it too.

Being a mature student and having a false start on another programme won't necessarily be a barrier. Poorer performance in language modules may be an issue as I believe a scriptural language is mandatory at Oxford for theology and religion?
(edited 9 months ago)
What a waste of time, but Oxford, Oxford, OXFORD.
Reply 3
Original post by random_matt
What a waste of time, but Oxford, Oxford, OXFORD.

you clearly haven’t read my post. i’ve attempted to transfer internally to various courses to no avail, and i have no real interest in pursuing my current degree. i’d also be applying to other universities, it’s just that the oxford theology programme appeals to me most, and being in oxford would force me to apply myself academically. i’m not going out of my way to defer because i am desperate to go to oxford - i’ll be deferring anyway if i cannot transfer internally.
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
Oxford don't accept applications from students currently enrolled in another course. You would need to drop out entirely (which you'd want to do to avoid running out of SFE funding anyway) in order to apply. Can't have your cake and eat it too.

Being a mature student and having a false start on another programme won't necessarily be a barrier. Poorer performance in language modules may be an issue as I believe a scriptural language is mandatory at Oxford for theology and religion?

i think it states here that they do (https://uni-of-oxford.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/547/~/can-i-apply-for-an-undergraduate-degree-course-if-i-am-already-studying-at), but i may be misreading it.

i get where you’re coming from. appreciate the advice!
Original post by coicoi
i think it states here that they do (https://uni-of-oxford.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/547/~/can-i-apply-for-an-undergraduate-degree-course-if-i-am-already-studying-at), but i may be misreading it.

i get where you’re coming from. appreciate the advice!

Second paragraph is the important one. "Not liking your current uni/course" may not be considered a sufficient extenuating circumstance. Note Cambridge has no such qualms.

In any case though there's no point starting second year at UCL and applying while there as you will end up with not enough SFE entitlement to cover the new course starting in first year at Oxford if you are successful and would need to self fund at least the first year of tuition fees yourself at Oxford, assuming you are a home fees student entitled to SFE funding.

So as I noted, the only viable option is to withdraw entirely from your course if you are aiming to apply elsewhere in the main application cycle next year. If you want to apply through clearing now (which Oxford does not participate in) or transfer internally over the summer, that is another matter entirely.
Reply 6
Original post by artful_lounger
Second paragraph is the important one. "Not liking your current uni/course" may not be considered a sufficient extenuating circumstance. Note Cambridge has no such qualms.

In any case though there's no point starting second year at UCL and applying while there as you will end up with not enough SFE entitlement to cover the new course starting in first year at Oxford if you are successful and would need to self fund at least the first year of tuition fees yourself at Oxford, assuming you are a home fees student entitled to SFE funding.

So as I noted, the only viable option is to withdraw entirely from your course if you are aiming to apply elsewhere in the main application cycle next year. If you want to apply through clearing now (which Oxford does not participate in) or transfer internally over the summer, that is another matter entirely.

does deferring not defer the student finance too? or would it just count as another year studying. again, thanks for the help.
Original post by coicoi
does deferring not defer the student finance too? or would it just count as another year studying. again, thanks for the help.

Not really sure to be honest, you'd have to contact SFE to find out. I suspect deferring a year to apply to Oxford is probably not going to be seen super positively by either Oxford or UCL in all honesty. I think trying to have your cake and eat it too is really not likely to be an option in this case - you need to decide if you want to withdraw and aim for Oxford, or stay at UCL and swap to another course.

If you're interested in religious studies there are various options at UCL depending on the particular religion(s), e.g. for Judaism or any kind of Biblical studies approaches HJS has a lot of options although also incorporates some language study, or approach(es) e.g. anthropology, philosophy, etc, which do not encompass any language study.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending