The Student Room Group

End of tenancy deposits?

How common is it to not get any of your deposit back? / how common is it for landlords to take some off?

We don’t have any damage, the flat is only a year old but obviously there is natural age of wear & tear.

For example the extractor fan has stains. An end of tenancy cleaner wants £300 to clean the flat but is it worth even paying this if we won’t get more of this of the deposit anyway?

Idk I just feel like landlords are always against tenants and no matter what you do they’ll find something. As the flat isn’t old I can do most of the cleaning ( will probs get a carpet cleaner to take out a make up stain)

Idk I’m just paranoid of spending all this money to get the flat cleaned and then it not being worth it
Original post by Amydesigns1104
How common is it to not get any of your deposit back? / how common is it for landlords to take some off?

We don’t have any damage, the flat is only a year old but obviously there is natural age of wear & tear.

For example the extractor fan has stains. An end of tenancy cleaner wants £300 to clean the flat but is it worth even paying this if we won’t get more of this of the deposit anyway?

Idk I just feel like landlords are always against tenants and no matter what you do they’ll find something. As the flat isn’t old I can do most of the cleaning ( will probs get a carpet cleaner to take out a make up stain)

Idk I’m just paranoid of spending all this money to get the flat cleaned and then it not being worth it

Hello,
It really does depend on the agency and landlord. How has your experience with them been throughout the year?

I had some really nasty landlords myself the past two years living in student accomodation not by the university and I'm fully expecting no deposit back because that's how they were always like. They even forgot to give the deposit back for the first year until we emailed about it.

But if you have reasonable landlords who aren't rubbish, then they should be able to see the difference between natural wear and tear and purposeful demolition. Most won't bat an eye at a stained extractor fan because they wouldn't expect students to know how to deconstruct, clean and reconstruct every appliance in the house.

How much was your deposit overall? Is £300 really worth it?

Hope this helps,
Dom

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending