The Student Room Group

Question about breaches of tenancy agreement by landlord

Hi

I'd really like some clarification on these issues. I have tried to take free legal advice however I have been unable to get through to CAB etc. and I'm on a bit of a clock.

I have an assured shorthold tenancy, sharing a house with four other tenants each with their own tenancies for their own rooms. I am in arrears of around 1k and he served me with a S21 notice.

6 weeks ago the landlord moved a friend of his into a communal living area which he told me I would be able to occasionally have friends over in etc. I wasn't informed of this or asked if it was OK. The new tenant has more or less also moved his girlfriend in to the house.

I am also aware that my landlord only protected my deposit in a scheme a few days ago, which means it was several months later than the mandatory 30 day limit.

What are the repercussions of these breaches on my arrears and on the validity of the Section 21 notice he served me with?
Sounds like he has probably broken the regulations around deposit. Not sure what repercussions he could face from this.
The communal area is harder to say, will depend specifically what is agreed in your contract.
Ultimately you also admit you haven’t held up your end of the contract either & the landlord wants you gone.

It would probably be easier to just pay what you owe & find a new place to live and try to establish a better working relationship with your landlord. You probably have some reasonable gripes but so does the landlord (if someone owed me a grand without a very reasonable explanation & understandable circumstances with prior notification- id probably not be very cooperative with complaints).
Do you have a tenancy agreement or a lodging agreement? :confused:
How much was the deposit that you paid the landlord?
Is the landlord related to his friend or the gf?

If the landlord has breached the rules relating to protecting tenant deposits within 30 days of receiving it, there is a significant risk that in the event of the tenant taking legal action for the non-compliance/late compliance the landlord will be ordered by the courts to pay the tenant a sum of up to three times the value of the deposit sum.
Original post by HannibelletheCa-
Hi

I'd really like some clarification on these issues. I have tried to take free legal advice however I have been unable to get through to CAB etc. and I'm on a bit of a clock.

I have an assured shorthold tenancy, sharing a house with four other tenants each with their own tenancies for their own rooms. I am in arrears of around 1k and he served me with a S21 notice.

6 weeks ago the landlord moved a friend of his into a communal living area which he told me I would be able to occasionally have friends over in etc. I wasn't informed of this or asked if it was OK. The new tenant has more or less also moved his girlfriend in to the house.

I am also aware that my landlord only protected my deposit in a scheme a few days ago, which means it was several months later than the mandatory 30 day limit.

What are the repercussions of these breaches on my arrears and on the validity of the Section 21 notice he served me with?

They are entirely different issues. There's no 'two wrongs make a right' here. The most serious breach is your non-payment. The new tenant is a more or less unwinnable situation, unless occupancy limits are being broken. The deposit issue is also a non issue if it is now in the right place.
Original post by threeportdrift
They are entirely different issues. There's no 'two wrongs make a right' here. The most serious breach is your non-payment. The new tenant is a more or less unwinnable situation, unless occupancy limits are being broken. The deposit issue is also a non issue if it is now in the right place.

So this is entirely wrong advice as a cursory google search can discover. The lateness of the deposit protection is itself protected in the Localism Act 2011.

Please informed answers only.
So this is entirely wrong advice as a cursory google search can discover. The lateness of the deposit protection is itself protected in the Localism Act 2011.

Please informed answers only.

I think that @threeportdrift is referring specifically to the fact that the deposit was entered into an approved protection scheme before the s21 was issued to you.
On that basis, the fact that the deposit was protected months later than it should have been cannot be used to dispute the validity of the s21 or challenge it at court.

Most likely your landlord has issued a s21 rather than a s8 because they are seeking to benefit from the accelerated possession procedure in terms of speed and no court hearing attendance required.
Original post by londonmyst
I think that @threeportdrift is referring specifically to the fact that the deposit was entered into an approved protection scheme before the s21 was issued to you.
On that basis, the fact that the deposit was protected months later than it should have been cannot be used to dispute the validity of the s21 or challenge it at court.

Most likely your landlord has issued a s21 rather than a s8 because they are seeking to benefit from the accelerated possession procedure in terms of speed and no court hearing attendance required.

But it wasn't... the notice was served a month or so before the deposit was protected.

I should probably clarify that the notice period was two months. It's an AST so I believe S21s cannot be issued with a moving out date before the end of the initial six month period of the tenancy.

I should also clarify that although it would be useful to invalidate the S21 notice - I am more concerned about the impact of these two separate issues on the arrears, especially the friend moved into a communal living area for a month and a half without my consent or without me being told.
(edited 6 months ago)
Any other contributions from this great pool of legal minds?
Original post by threeportdrift

I work in the lettings sector (admittedly on the tech side rather than as a landlord/agent). Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your point or I'm not well informed enough. But, in the context of the S21 notice being served, this is correct - the failure to register the deposit within a scheme in 30 days won't impact the fact the landlord has served S21 notice as the deposit is 'now' protected.

However, it's not correct to state "the deposit issue is also a non-issue if it is now in the right place". The landlord must register the deposit with a tenancy deposit protection scheme within 30 days of the landlord receiving it, failing to do so puts them in clear breach and makes them liable for failing to register the deposit within the time limit.

I can see the OP has now said: "But it [the deposit] wasn't [protected]... the notice was served a month or so before the deposit was protected." which was not initially made clear in the opening post, if this is the case and they can prove that they were not served with the prescribed information prior to S21 notice being served, then surely the S21 notice is invalid?

@HannibelletheCa-, when did you pay your deposit and when did you receive the prescribed information and information leaflets for the deposit protection scheme? This information is crucial to understanding if you have any recourse there. In terms of the other issues you raised, I don't know enough to comment and you'd likely need to seek legal advice on this whole thing at any rate. It's also worth me saying that the arrears also place you in breach of the AST as you've failed to meet your commitments, but this is a separate issue.

Disclaimer: this is not legal advice
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by Charles III
I work in the lettings sector (admittedly on the tech side rather than as a landlord/agent). Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your point or I'm not well informed enough. But, in the context of the S21 notice being served, this is correct - the failure to register the deposit within a scheme in 30 days won't impact the fact the landlord has served S21 notice as the deposit is 'now' protected.

However, it's not correct to state "the deposit issue is also a non-issue if it is now in the right place". The landlord must register the deposit with a tenancy deposit protection scheme within 30 days of the landlord receiving it, failing to do so puts them in clear breach and makes them liable for failing to register the deposit within the time limit.

I can see the OP has now said: "But it [the deposit] wasn't [protected]... the notice was served a month or so before the deposit was protected." which was not initially made clear in the opening post, if this is the case and they can prove that they were not served with the prescribed information prior to S21 notice being served, then surely the S21 notice is invalid?

@HannibelletheCa-, when did you pay your deposit and when did you receive the prescribed information and information leaflets for the deposit protection scheme? This information is crucial to understanding if you have any recourse there. In terms of the other issues you raised, I don't know enough to comment and you'd likely need to seek legal advice on this whole thing at any rate. It's also worth me saying that the arrears also place you in breach of the AST as you've failed to meet your commitments, but this is a separate issue.

Disclaimer: this is not legal advice

Hi, thanks for this reply.

I should have made it clearer in the OP that the S21 was served over a month before the deposit was protected. I paid the deposit before I moved in to the property along with the first month's rent.

To answer your question, I have not been given any certificates or leaflets pertaining to the PDS at all. The energy certificates etc. I was given when i moved in but nothing related to this. I checked the three PDS scheme sites to search for my deposit about a week ago and no results - after I asked my landlord for the certificate suddenly one of them showed a result, about three days ago, however the landlord only sent me a screenshot on his phone of this and it did not include any info except for the amount, my email address and the residential address. My understanding is that the certificates are provided by the schemes and so the date it was put in will be there if the certificate is not photoshopped etc. Naturally I have asked the landlord for the formal certificate and they are now prevaricating.

As for the arrears - I am confused as to whether or not I have the right to withhold rent if the landlord has breached the tenancy; the issue of installing a friend of his into a communal living area without my consent or knowledge has affected what is referred to online as a tenant's right to peaceful enjoyment of the home to such an extent that I didn't feel I should be paying the rent I had signed up for because the living situation is not what I signed up for.

Thanks again this was helpful and I'd be glad to hear your thoughts.
(edited 6 months ago)
Hi, thanks for this reply.

I should have made it clearer in the OP that the S21 was served over a month before the deposit was protected. To answer your question, I have not been given any certificates or leaflets pertaining to the PDS at all. The energy certificates etc. I was given when i moved in but nothing related to this. I checked the three PDS scheme sites to search for my deposit about a week ago and no results - after I asked my landlord for the certificate suddenly one of them showed a result, about three days ago, however the landlord only sent me a screenshot on his phone of this and it did not include any info except for the amount, my email address and the residential address. My understanding is that the certificates are provided by the schemes and so the date it was put in will be there if the certificate is not photoshopped etc.

As for the arrears - I am confused as to whether or not I have the right to withhold rent if the landlord has breached the tenancy; the issue of installing a friend of his into a communal living area without my consent or knowledge has affected what is referred to online as a tenant's right to peaceful enjoyment of the home to such an extent that I didn't feel I should be paying the rent I had signed up for because the living situation is not what I signed up for.

Thanks again this was helpful and I'd be glad to hear your thoughts.

Hiya,

Thanks for your response! If the S21 notice was definitely served before the deposit was protected, it won't be valid. A condition of serving S21 notice is that the deposit is protected (and as part of that, the prescribed information is served to the tenant). S21 notice cannot be served without the deposit being protected in a tenancy deposit protection scheme - in my opinion (this doesn't qualify as legal advice, I'm not a legal professional!) this would give you a good chance at arguing the S21 notice is invalid.

If you have not been given the prescribed information (beware that it can be served as part of your tenancy agreement. Check it carefully, it will be clearly described as prescribed information mentioning the name of the deposit protection scheme and the details around the registration of the deposit and its dispute resolution service, see here for more info), the landlord is in breach of the Housing Act 2004. They must serve you the prescribed information (including the information leaflet for the scheme) within 30 days of receiving your deposit. The prescribed information would either form part of your tenancy agreement as an addendum or a standalone document that both you and your landlord/agent would have signed. If you have no record of this document to this day and you are certain nothing like it has been provided to you, then the landlord is in clear breach of this in addition to not protecting the deposit correctly (if this is the case too).

This information document has tonnes of useful stuff in it on this topic, take a look at it, it also includes a model PI template, do you have anything like that in your agreement? https://www.tenancydepositscheme.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/Prescribed-Information-and-Clauses-and-Terms-Of-Business-Letting-Agents_v3.pdf

Regarding the property documents, the landlord also must provide you with the How to Rent Guide (the most up-to-date version) and any relevant property documents (i.e. the EPC, EICR, GSC, etc) at the point you pay your holding deposit/execute the tenancy. If you didn't receive this, then this is another angle which you can use to dispute. If the landlord has properly registered the deposit, you are right to say that a certificate issued by the scheme will exist and should be provided to you.

In terms of the other issue around the landlord having a friend move into a communal area and how it affects your right to peaceful enjoyment, I just don't have enough understanding of that particular issue to give you any useful advice. To be totally transparent with you, I'm a software engineer, I work at a company which builds software to keep landlords and agents compliant which is the only reason I know about the above, so take everything I say with considerable helpings of salt! I wish I could help there, but I don't want to mislead you if I can avoid it. Speaking purely from a moral standpoint, when considering disputing the tenancy it does not look very good if you have withheld rent - though I do understand your point that you feel your landlord is in breach of contract, but a point to consider nonetheless.

Wishing you all the best of luck - definitely seek advice - if you can prove what you're describing then I think you are being had here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending