The Student Room Group

Dissertation Citing

My dissertation used secondary data collection as it’s method, I used data from over 40 studies and made an overall analysis in my dissertation of the findings and only focused on a few of those when referencing specific findings. Do I need to include all sources in my reference list even if I didn’t talk about them specifically but as an overall analysis?
I have referenced the ones that I have wrote about specifically
Reply 1
If you used any data from a secondary source in your Dissertation, it must be cited, both where it is used (in-text citation) and the full reference in the References List.
Can't say more than that unless you want to explain why you used 40 but only discussed "a few". Did you make generalisations or observations based on the 40 as a sample? If you did, then yes they will all need to be cited.
Reply 2
Original post by cheadle
If you used any data from a secondary source in your Dissertation, it must be cited, both where it is used (in-text citation) and the full reference in the References List.
Can't say more than that unless you want to explain why you used 40 but only discussed "a few". Did you make generalisations or observations based on the 40 as a sample? If you did, then yes they will all need to be cited.

I see!
I summarised a lot of the data collected from the sources since it was a lot and discussed about 10 of them specifically for reference. The data from the other sources were very similar to the ones I referenced and this was spoken about in the dissertation. I just didn’t know whether or not I still needed to reference them if they weren’t cited in text
Reply 3
Short answer is yes you do.
Reply 4
Yes they will all need to be listed in the References List and, in the Diss itself, where you make either detailed or generalised statements about the data from those sources, in-text citations will be needed.

Even if you didn't mention some specifically in the Diss but you may have said something along the lines of "I conducted research and from a sample of 40 studies found that..." , the marker wiill want to know what 40 studies were sampled.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by cheadle
Yes they will all need to be listed in the References List and, in the Diss itself, where you make either detailed or generalised statements about the data from those sources, in-text citations will be needed.

Even if you didn't mention some specifically in the Diss but you may have said something along the lines of "I conducted research and from a sample of 40 studies found that..." , the marker wiill want to know what 40 studies were sampled.

thank you for your advice!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending