The Student Room Group

Need Masters but hate education

Hi,

For the career I want (Data Science) I need a masters.

Having completed by BSc in Computer Science from a decent Russell group uni & getting a 2.1. I realised I hate being in education.

I feel like I'm not rewarded for working hard or doing what I'm supposed to - for example in 2 of my modules I did every single past paper and started revising 2 months before the exam & only got 50% in both.

Similar story in my project where I regularly met with my supervisor outside of allocated time to improve my work just to scrape a 60%. With the feedback being things I was told were fine in my meetings.

Even back to A level days where I made a spreadsheet of all the topics in A level Maths I was weak on with the textbook page numbers next to it just to miss my A*due to the 2019 edexcel **** show paper.

I really want to be done with education as its just a clear waste of time and something where hard work clearly isn't rewarded but I need a masters.

I don't believe further education is for me due to the experience of it so far.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

For the career I want (Data Science) I need a masters.

Having completed by BSc in Computer Science from a decent Russell group uni & getting a 2.1. I realised I hate being in education.

I feel like I'm not rewarded for working hard or doing what I'm supposed to - for example in 2 of my modules I did every single past paper and started revising 2 months before the exam & only got 50% in both.

Similar story in my project where I regularly met with my supervisor outside of allocated time to improve my work just to scrape a 60%. With the feedback being things I was told were fine in my meetings.

Even back to A level days where I made a spreadsheet of all the topics in A level Maths I was weak on with the textbook page numbers next to it just to miss my A*due to the 2019 edexcel **** show paper.

I really want to be done with education as its just a clear waste of time and something where hard work clearly isn't rewarded but I need a masters.

I don't believe further education is for me due to the experience of it so far.

How much research have you done fot this role? You don't need a master's to get into data science.
https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/job-profiles/data-scientist
https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/job-profiles/data-analyst-statistician
https://www.careerpilot.org.uk/job-sectors/data-network/job-profile/data-scientist
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/data-scientist

I mean, if you really are desperate to show that you're competent in the role, then I suppose you can do something like a PowerBI qualification from Microsoft; a programming certificate specific for data science from the Python Institute; and a SQL qualification from Oracle. However, these are not strictly necessary.

The tough part of this process is getting the job. Your current degree alone is more than adequate.

I'm sorry about your experience with education, but sometimes it can be due to bad teaching or using the wrong strategies for studying for yourself. If it's necessary for you to go back to education, then I would revisit these assumptions.
Reply 2
I mean, if you really are desperate to show that you're competent in the role, then I suppose you can do something like a PowerBI qualification from Microsoft; a programming certificate specific for data science from the Python Institute; and a SQL qualification from Oracle. However, these are not strictly necessary.

The tough part of this process is getting the job. Your current degree alone is more than adequate.

I've learnt Tableau for my dissertation, I've done 2 Data Science internships and the machine learning/AI modules on my degree so education-wise I think I'm ok, but a lot of roles on job postings require a masters degree and I fear somewhere down the line I'm going to need it.
I've learnt Tableau for my dissertation, I've done 2 Data Science internships and the machine learning/AI modules on my degree so education-wise I think I'm ok, but a lot of roles on job postings require a masters degree and I fear somewhere down the line I'm going to need it.

I like how HR likes to post jobs they know little to nothing about. You can find entry level roles that require 5 years' experience and knowing languages that have nothing to do with the job.

I would pay less attention to the job postings and talk to the line managers who are in the roles. They tend to have a clearer picture of what you specifically need.
Reply 4
Why do you need a master's to work in data science. My neighbour works in data science and doesn't even have a degree! Rather than focusing on qualifications which ultimately count for very little after your first job, focus on acquiring the skills you require to be successful in data science. Also, why that career? What is it about that job that appeals?
Reply 5
Original post by hotpud
Also, why that career? What is it about that job that appeals?

I did 2 internships in Data Science based roles and found both very interesting and enjoyable. I also really enjoyed the Machine Learning module of my ug degree.
Reply 6
I did 2 internships in Data Science based roles and found both very interesting and enjoyable. I also really enjoyed the Machine Learning module of my ug degree.

So if you have done some internships you have work experience right? So you can apply for jobs citing relevant experience on your CV. Why would you waste a year doing a masters?

Companies in the tech industry don't give a stuff about your qualifications. Anyone can get a masters. They do care about what you can do and the skills you have.
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending