The Student Room Group

what subject did you need to become a lawyer

what subject do you need to be a lawyer
Reply 1
At college? Not any specific. Just do subjects that are essay based and focus on soft skills. Do English, or computer science or even criminology etc. or do law at college.
Original post by 11mars007

Hi @11mars007

Great question :smile:

Usually you don't need a specific subject, but subjects like English and history will be a great help I'm sure. Make sure you do your research when looking at and applying for Universities and I'm sure they will ask for different things (entry requirements, specific subject areas etc)

Let me know if I can help with anything :smile:

Sera

Hi @11mars007!

From what I know, you don't need any specific subjects to become a lawyer :smile:
If you want to study law straight out of A levels (or equivalent) then you need BBB in any subject to study it at the University of Law.
Equally, you don't even need to study law at undergraduate level to become a lawyer. I did an English Lit degree and have now just done a one-year Master's conversion in law at the University of Law to start my education as a lawyer.

Study what you enjoy and the rest will follow :smile:

Sophie
Student Ambassador at the University of Law
Reply 4
Anything. Could be 3 sciences and that would still be okay.
You just need 3 high grades - so pick 3 subjects that you will enjoy studying, and where you feel confident of A grades.

Hi!,

There are no specific subjects that you need to study Law however I would recommend that you study Law at A-Levels or BTEC Level 3- this will give you a good foundation to build on for when you decide to study Law at university, other subjects to support this I would definitely recommend criminology, psychology, or business because they contain aspects which relate to Law and you h=will have an even more stable foundation to build on. I hope this helps.
Reply 6
Original post by UniofLaw Student
I would recommend that you study Law at A-Levels or BTEC Level 3- this will give you a good foundation to build on for when you decide to study Law at university, other subjects to support this I would definitely recommend criminology, psychology, or business because they contain aspects which relate to Law and you h=will have an even more stable foundation to build on. I hope this helps.

Total nonsense.

You do not need to have studied Law or any other related subject - and what is suggested above is not in any way 'recommended' by any sensible University offering Law.

Applicants for Law should choose any 3 subjects that they will enjoy studying and where they feel confident of achieving 3 A grades.
Reply 7
Original post by UniofLaw Student
Hi @11mars007!

From what I know, you don't need any specific subjects to become a lawyer :smile:
If you want to study law straight out of A levels (or equivalent) then you need BBB in any subject to study it at the University of Law.
Equally, you don't even need to study law at undergraduate level to become a lawyer. I did an English Lit degree and have now just done a one-year Master's conversion in law at the University of Law to start my education as a lawyer.

Study what you enjoy and the rest will follow :smile:

Sophie
Student Ambassador at the University of Law

thank you

Quick Reply

Latest