The Student Room Group

Is it worth it to do a degree I love and then a law conversion course?

I don't know what route to take to become a lawyer. I don't know if I should do a qualifying law degree so I can go straight to the SQE or if I should do a degree I love (Anthropology or Religion) and then do a conversion course. The problem is that the conversion course is expensive and I want to do a year abroad during university, so my debt will be huge. The reason why I'm apprehensive to do a law degree is because I don't think I would like it as much as Anthropology or Religion.
Original post by kwakraon
I don't know what route to take to become a lawyer. I don't know if I should do a qualifying law degree so I can go straight to the SQE or if I should do a degree I love (Anthropology or Religion) and then do a conversion course. The problem is that the conversion course is expensive and I want to do a year abroad during university, so my debt will be huge. The reason why I'm apprehensive to do a law degree is because I don't think I would like it as much as Anthropology or Religion.

Hi @kwakraon

Ultimately, the decision has to be yours as both are perfectly good ways to qualify as a lawyer! I personally, didn't want to do a law undergrad either as I wanted to study something else at undergrad so did that and then did a conversion. I really enjoyed my undergrad and think it was definitely the right decision for me. Also, to become a lawyer, there is a lot of focus on good grades and I think it is always easier to do better if truly enjoying your subject. Therefore, I would recommend doing the conversion if you think you would rather do something else to law at undergrad. I understand that this can mean you end up with a lot of debt but if this early on in your law journey, you can 100% apply for training contracts with law firms which would mean they would pay for your GDL and then your SQEs as well afterwards! 🙂 Of course, these are competitive to obtain but always worth a shot!

I hope this helps and good luck!

Sophie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending