The Student Room Group

Straight Law or conversion?

I received my A-level grades last week and got A*AA. I have decided to not go to uni this year and instead take a gap year.

I was wondering whether I should apply to top unis and study history/ English and then do a GDL to study law
or
Apply to Unis for law.
The only issue here is that most of the top Unis for law require the LNAT and I do not want to do that again.

Any advice is appreciated!
If the end goal is to study law, then it would make sense to just go straight to a law degree, as opposed to taking a different degree beforehand. What are your reasons for wanting to take English of history?

Congratulations on the amazing A level results though! :smile:
Original post by Squiggles1238
If the end goal is to study law, then it would make sense to just go straight to a law degree, as opposed to taking a different degree beforehand. What are your reasons for wanting to take English of history?

Congratulations on the amazing A level results though! :smile:

Thank you! My only reason was because I wanted a better university. But probably not worth it for a whole extra degree you’re right
Original post by Willow1711
I received my A-level grades last week and got A*AA. I have decided to not go to uni this year and instead take a gap year.

I was wondering whether I should apply to top unis and study history/ English and then do a GDL to study law
or
Apply to Unis for law.
The only issue here is that most of the top Unis for law require the LNAT and I do not want to do that again.

Hiya

I think unless you're actually interested in studying another subject at uni, you should rather study law if the end goal is to become a lawyer. LNAT is difficult, I agree, but you'd have to spend another year after graduation doing a conversion and then probably more time prepping for SQE if you wanna go down the solicitor route. You can prepare well for LNAT if you spend a good 1-2 months consistently and it's just one test compared to a whole year you'd have to devote to GDL. If LNAT is the only issue, my advice would be to power through it and study law unless there's another subject that deeply interests you.

-Himieka
Definitely go to the better university doing the different subject. Even though law firms sponsoring your post grad studies even under the new SQE exam system want a law conversion it is still worth doing law after. 50% of lawyers in the big firms did not do law first.

or
Apply to Unis for law.

Why not look at Unis that do not require LNAT. There are definitely some in the top 10 rankings (consistently) who do not require it. Leeds is one that springs to mind - a good law school but it does require high grades & doesn’t usually take many below it’s minimum (unlike some unis who do drop on exam results). Nottingham is another - who has interestingly just dropped the LNAT!
Original post by BarryScott2022
Why not look at Unis that do not require LNAT. There are definitely some in the top 10 rankings (consistently) who do not require it. Leeds is one that springs to mind - a good law school but it does require high grades & doesn’t usually take many below it’s minimum (unlike some unis who do drop on exam results). Nottingham is another - who has interestingly just dropped the LNAT!

Thank you very much this is very helpful! I guess have a lot of research to be doing:wink:
Thank you very much this is very helpful! I guess have a lot of research to be doing:wink:

Where are you going? Also what subjects did you take?
Reply 8
Original post by gregregregreg
Where are you going? Also what subjects did you take?

York! (I deferred it from my original UCAS list anyways). For A-levels I did history, English and psychology and an EPQ (A*AAA)
York! (I deferred it from my original UCAS list anyways). For A-levels I did history, English and psychology and an EPQ (A*AAA)

Nice well done man
Reply 10
Original post by gregregregreg
Nice well done man

Thanks!
Original post by 17Student17
Definitely go to the better university doing the different subject. Even though law firms sponsoring your post grad studies even under the new SQE exam system want a law conversion it is still worth doing law after. 50% of lawyers in the big firms did not do law first.

Btw while this stat may seem significant, keep in mind that the ones who did not take law are competing with all other graduates from EVERY single other degree trying to get into the job market - so this is misleading. The job market for lawyers is competitive enough, and even harder for those who didn't take law

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending