The Student Room Group

Picking a course

hello everyone!! i hope you’re all doing well!!

i would like some advice regarding what course i should study at uni.
on one hand, i want to study law for the prestige, however, i do not want to be a lawyer i don’t think. i just think it might get me more job prospects.
on the other hand, there’s a “useless” degree of english which i do have a passion for and would like to pursue it at a master’s level. however, i also would like to earn money and be able to make a good living.

thank you! any advice would be truly appreciated! :smile: :smile:
Firstly, you can become a lawyer with an English degree anyway. Secondly, for any non-law career, a law degree and an English degree are going to be seen exactly the same (same as any other degree, from biology to archaeology to engineering to theoretical physical education to underwater basket weaving).

The thing which 6th formers seem to have an unshakeable belief in for no reason whatsoever is that your degree subject is somehow important and defines your career. With the exception of a few fields where a specific degree is needed (e.g. engineering roles, healthcare roles, etc), this is not the case. For the generalist grad schemes (which is the majority of them) they don't care what subject you did your degree in, and they don't even care where you did your degree. The degree is just a tick box for the recruiter - does the applicant have an undergraduate honours degree at 2:1 or above? Yes/no. If yes, proceed reviewing the rest of the application. If no, stop. After you tick the "yes" box, it no longer matters.

What will matter is what relevant work experience and internships you undertake during your degree in preparation for grad roles, and what relevant transferable skills you develop through e.g. committee/leadership positions in societies etc. That along with how well you perform on psychometric assessments and assessment centre exercises is going to be the thing that separates applicants for recruiters - not what subject they studied.

So do English if that's what interests you.

Quick Reply

Latest