The Student Room Group

Getting kicked out of University but still wanting to complete a degree

Hi,

I just wanted to say something in here as I have noticed that this forums page is quite handy in finding out information about things.

I wanted to find out if there is any way of reapplying to the same course that I have previously been kicked out of due to not completing any semester submissions due to personal reasons and failing to reach out to anyone for help. I have sat through first year of university studying Architecture which I know is a hard course in itself and went to classes and lectures with the wrong mindsets and failing to complete work.

I want to rework on myself as I have gone through many stages of depression and hardship and I was too afraid to speak to anyone about it and worked on it myself and now in much better condition and I want to continue to go to university. However I have been kicked out for failing to “actively engage in my course and receiving 0 submission points”. I don’t know what to do.

I really want to complete university and achieve a degree. Is there any way I could do anything about it whether it’s applying for the same university with the same course, or not having any chances into applying again to another university as they will see that I have failed one year and I won’t be accepted into another course/university.

Also will this affect me getting another student loan for another year if I do get the chance to apply and be accepted?

If anyone could help, please do give me advice.
Same uni + same course will definitely be a no go.

You could apply elsewhere but as you note, it’s likely to be of concern, (you have to declare previous study, even if incomplete). You may help your case if your can have your ref explain how you’ve addressed what went wrong the first time.
Original post by KingSnowyy
Hi,

I just wanted to say something in here as I have noticed that this forums page is quite handy in finding out information about things.

I wanted to find out if there is any way of reapplying to the same course that I have previously been kicked out of due to not completing any semester submissions due to personal reasons and failing to reach out to anyone for help. I have sat through first year of university studying Architecture which I know is a hard course in itself and went to classes and lectures with the wrong mindsets and failing to complete work.

I want to rework on myself as I have gone through many stages of depression and hardship and I was too afraid to speak to anyone about it and worked on it myself and now in much better condition and I want to continue to go to university. However I have been kicked out for failing to “actively engage in my course and receiving 0 submission points”. I don’t know what to do.

I really want to complete university and achieve a degree. Is there any way I could do anything about it whether it’s applying for the same university with the same course, or not having any chances into applying again to another university as they will see that I have failed one year and I won’t be accepted into another course/university.

Also will this affect me getting another student loan for another year if I do get the chance to apply and be accepted?

If anyone could help, please do give me advice.

Re-applying to the same university may well not be the right approach. However, another university may well make you an offer. What are you A level grades like?

Note that you will need to provide details on your UCAS form of the university you attended originally (including dates, and the fact that you receive no qualification).

In terms of a student loan, they allow for one "gift" year and calculate the years they'll cover as: normal duration of course plus one year, less years already studied. So if you left at the end of the first year previously, they should still cover three further years.
Reply 3
Hi!

I'm sorry to hear about the rough circumstances you've had in life; but proud of you for doing better now!

It's highly doubtful your old uni will re-accept you for any courses, so your best bet is definitely looking at other unis, and be honest with them about your past issues leading to you being kicked out. If you've recieved any professional help in the past, giving them evidence of this would help you prove your case (and if you aren't getting help, it's never too late to do so, it seems like a good idea even if just to show you've been working on getting better).

It might further help to ask the unis you apply to about their support services; mine were really helpful in getting me a bit of extra time with projects and being more understanding if my attendance wasn't great when I was struggling with my physical or mental health. Good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by DataVenia
Re-applying to the same university may well not be the right approach. However, another university may well make you an offer. What are you A level grades like?

Note that you will need to provide details on your UCAS form of the university you attended originally (including dates, and the fact that you receive no qualification).

In terms of a student loan, they allow for one "gift" year and calculate the years they'll cover as: normal duration of course plus one year, less years already studied. So if you left at the end of the first year previously, they should still cover three further years.

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply. I forgot I had posted a forum post. My A-Level grades are okay but the required ucas points for my course is 120-128. I got A*,B & E and got into my uni with a unconditional offer.

I will have a look at other universities that do my course but will I have to apply through clearing or apply for January 24 or September 24?
Reply 5
Original post by SakuraSkye
Hi!

I'm sorry to hear about the rough circumstances you've had in life; but proud of you for doing better now!

It's highly doubtful your old uni will re-accept you for any courses, so your best bet is definitely looking at other unis, and be honest with them about your past issues leading to you being kicked out. If you've recieved any professional help in the past, giving them evidence of this would help you prove your case (and if you aren't getting help, it's never too late to do so, it seems like a good idea even if just to show you've been working on getting better).

It might further help to ask the unis you apply to about their support services; mine were really helpful in getting me a bit of extra time with projects and being more understanding if my attendance wasn't great when I was struggling with my physical or mental health. Good luck!

Hello,

I have seeked help from friends and family and they have helped me become better as I now feel confident that I am ready to complete my degree. I will most definitely seek help if I do get accepted into another university as I still want to acquire a degree.

I will look around at other universities now and see if I could apply to any for the upcoming year.

Thank you. I will keep you guys updated
Reply 6
Original post by Admit-One
Same uni + same course will definitely be a no go.

You could apply elsewhere but as you note, it’s likely to be of concern, (you have to declare previous study, even if incomplete). You may help your case if your can have your ref explain how you’ve addressed what went wrong the first time.

Hi,
I will definitely declare previous study and my ref is very open with me as he said he will declare any information that anyone would require due to my withdrawal of the course.

I’m just worried that no other university will accept me because I have been withdrawn from one course from a different university but it is worth a try
Hi,

Sorry for the late reply. I forgot I had posted a forum post. My A-Level grades are okay but the required ucas points for my course is 120-128. I got A*,B & E and got into my uni with a unconditional offer.

I will have a look at other universities that do my course but will I have to apply through clearing or apply for January 24 or September 24?

There are still some places available via Clearing, so if you're keen to start now (i.e. September 2023), then Clearing is the way to do it.

You say that you "got into my uni with a unconditional offer". Is that because you already had achieved grades at the time you applied? Or for some other reason? Perhaps based entirely on your portfolio (which I assume you'll have had to provide for Architecture)?
Reply 8
There are still some places available via Clearing, so if you're keen to start now (i.e. September 2023), then Clearing is the way to do it.

You say that you "got into my uni with a unconditional offer". Is that because you already had achieved grades at the time you applied? Or for some other reason? Perhaps based entirely on your portfolio (which I assume you'll have had to provide for Architecture)?

I assume it was based off my portfolio and my predicted grades which at the time was BBB which was the required grade boundary for the course. I shall see with clearing to what universities will give me a offer
I assume it was based off my portfolio and my predicted grades which at the time was BBB which was the required grade boundary for the course. I shall see with clearing to what universities will give me a offer

Good luck. :crossedf:
Reply 10
Good luck. :crossedf:

Hello, I thought I would give an update so you know what has happened. I received an unconditional offer from clearing into a university. Everything has gone smoothly so far and now waiting for enrolment. Thank you for all the help 🫶🏽
Hello, I thought I would give an update so you know what has happened. I received an unconditional offer from clearing into a university. Everything has gone smoothly so far and now waiting for enrolment. Thank you for all the help 🫶🏽

That's fantastic news! Well done. :smile: (And thanks for the update.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending