The Student Room Group

Withdrawal from University.

I was withdrawn from University a while back due to failing grade in two modules. I am an international student and I do not think the University has informed the UKVI of my withdrawal as I have not been given a notice to leave and my BRP is still valid. Can this be used against the university to get a refund of my two years of study (£25,000) as I was forcefully withdrawn. I made every possible attempt to rectify but there was no hope for me.
Let me check I understand. You want to threaten your University over the fact that you are here illegitimately to get a refund on a degree you got kicked off of because you failed it?
Original post by GentleBear
I was withdrawn from University a while back due to failing grade in two modules. I am an international student and I do not think the University has informed the UKVI of my withdrawal as I have not been given a notice to leave and my BRP is still valid. Can this be used against the university to get a refund of my two years of study (£25,000) as I was forcefully withdrawn. I made every possible attempt to rectify but there was no hope for me.

You were withdrawn because you failed two modules. Why would that entitle you to a refund?
(Thread moved to University Life as it is more a procedural question from a formerly enrolled student.)
Reply 4
Original post by mah1000000
Let me check I understand. You want to threaten your University over the fact that you are here illegitimately to get a refund on a degree you got kicked off of because you failed it?

I’m not sure wat you mean by illegitimately because my visa is still valid, I have checked and there is no change on my status.
I’m not sure wat you mean by illegitimately because my visa is still valid, I have checked and there is no change on my status.

While I'm not familiar with the Visa process, by illegitimately I mean that you are here on a student visa and are no longer a student. You imply that the reason your visa status hasn't changed is that your old university has not informed UKVI of your withdrawal. So while your visa may still say it is valid I am assuming getting kicked out of uni voids it in some way.

Oh, don't be so silly. Your university kicked you out due to academic failure. Why in earth would that entitle you to a refund.

Accept you failed the course and return to your home country without attempting to get more money, money to which you are not entitled.
I suppose more to the point, the £25k was for the two years of study which you did receive. It's not the unis concern that you did not complete the full degree.
Reply 8

In your position, I'd be winding up my affairs in the UK and making preparations to return home. I wouldn't want to rely on the fact that notice to leave hadn't been sent -- it's possible that it has been sent but for some reason or other you haven't received it. (And if it hasn't been sent yet, maybe it'll be sent tomorrow.) I wouldn't want the risk of becoming an overstayer, given that it would jeopardise my chance of getting visas in the future (either for the UK or for other countries).

If you've been withdrawn from your course, gone through any appeals process, and not been reinstated, then you need to accept what's happened and start planning for the future.
Reply 9
Some unnecessarily condescending comments above. Clearly from people who have never experienced failure before, and the panic that comes with it. Some people have no shame in rubbing salt in your wounds.

To the OP: I think it's time to close the door on this and accept that you will have to move back to your home country, even if it's temporary. You know your visa is going to be cancelled eventually, even if it's still active now. It could be tomorrow, it could be months away, but it will happen when the visa office is informed. If you're still in the UK when it happens, it could get a lot worse for you. Better for you to save your dignity, take this setback on the chin, and come back stronger when you're in a position to start again. If you're still determined to continue, I would recommend starting the whole application and visa process again, perhaps returning to the UK in the future to start a course at a different university, or going to study in a different country. University in the UK can be pretty brutal for people for all sorts of different reasons, so there's no shame in accepting that it didn't go so well this time around. Make peace with this, return to your place of safety and security (I'm assuming you have family and friends waiting for you in your home country), and then come back again with a vengeance. I've been in your position before and run into many setbacks over the years, but I always come back stronger. If I can do it then you certainly can too. I wish you the best of luck and I hope it works out well for you.
Reply 10
Short answer is no. Long answer is unfortunately no.
Original post by asif007
Some unnecessarily condescending comments above. Clearly from people who have never experienced failure before, and the panic that comes with it. Some people have no shame in rubbing salt in your wounds.

To the OP: I think it's time to close the door on this and accept that you will have to move back to your home country, even if it's temporary. You know your visa is going to be cancelled eventually, even if it's still active now. It could be tomorrow, it could be months away, but it will happen when the visa office is informed. If you're still in the UK when it happens, it could get a lot worse for you. Better for you to save your dignity, take this setback on the chin, and come back stronger when you're in a position to start again. If you're still determined to continue, I would recommend starting the whole application and visa process again, perhaps returning to the UK in the future to start a course at a different university, or going to study in a different country. University in the UK can be pretty brutal for people for all sorts of different reasons, so there's no shame in accepting that it didn't go so well this time around. Make peace with this, return to your place of safety and security (I'm assuming you have family and friends waiting for you in your home country), and then come back again with a vengeance. I've been in your position before and run into many setbacks over the years, but I always come back stronger. If I can do it then you certainly can too. I wish you the best of luck and I hope it works out well for you.

Thank you for sharing your story and spreading positivity and hope whilst also being realistic.

Wish you and @GentreBear all the best for the future
Reply 12

Hello @GentleBear I am in similar position as u were I would kindly ask what happens to you one year later ?? Please I am an international student too who has been withdrawn from pharmacy course due to academic failure ( failed one module twice )

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending