The Student Room Group

How realistic to be a psychologist?

I’m currently thinking about master degree of forensic psychology or neuropsychology. But even with master degree, there aren’t enough training courses. I found BPS offers but it seems very slim chance to became forensic psychologist especially in Scotland where I am. If I go for neuropsychology, it seems I will get a clinical placement. There are tons of psychology students everywhere but how realistic to be a psychiatrist ?
Reply 1
Original post by may long
I’m currently thinking about master degree of forensic psychology or neuropsychology. But even with master degree, there aren’t enough training courses. I found BPS offers but it seems very slim chance to became forensic psychologist especially in Scotland where I am. If I go for neuropsychology, it seems I will get a clinical placement. There are tons of psychology students everywhere but how realistic to be a psychiatrist ?

I assume the last bit is a typo, as a psychiatrist is not even close to a psychologist and requires a whole different field of study (medicine).

Regarding the different masters, might be useful to know what current quals you actually have. Neuropsy masters, unless it is a purely theoretical course is normally done post doctorate (i know it sounds strange, but it is a post qualified course (i.e for clinical or educational psychologists) in most cases, as you cant apply knowledge without substantial prior trg).

My main questions are what are your current quals and then what job or career do you actually want?

Take care,
Greg
Reply 2
Original post by greg tony
I assume the last bit is a typo, as a psychiatrist is not even close to a psychologist and requires a whole different field of study (medicine).

Regarding the different masters, might be useful to know what current quals you actually have. Neuropsy masters, unless it is a purely theoretical course is normally done post doctorate (i know it sounds strange, but it is a post qualified course (i.e for clinical or educational psychologists) in most cases, as you cant apply knowledge without substantial prior trg).

My main questions are what are your current quals and then what job or career do you actually want?

Take care,
Greg

I didn't notice the typo as I was using mobile phone without my glasses !
I am graduating with 2:1 or above (not classified yet). I want to be a forensic psychologist but it seems very competitive as almost no job or rarely found in Scotland even training. GCU has courses which are accredited by BPS but again, I have no idea about the situation in two years. It seems Glasgow uni have clinical placements for neuropsychology students. To be a clinical neuropsychologist, it seems I have to apply with a master degree of clinical psychology or relevant. Although BPS offers some training courses for Forensic psychology students who have master degree but it has to be BPS accredited. I am working and am not able to attend physical class like uni in Glasgow. so I have to take distant learning. What I found is there are two or three unis offer it but their fees are sky rocket high. I can apply a distant learning course (MSc in forensic) here in Scotland but it is not accredited by BPS. This it why I am not sure which direction I should go. If I am young enough, I would have more options. I am tired now.
Reply 3
Original post by may long
I didn't notice the typo as I was using mobile phone without my glasses !
I am graduating with 2:1 or above (not classified yet). I want to be a forensic psychologist but it seems very competitive as almost no job or rarely found in Scotland even training. GCU has courses which are accredited by BPS but again, I have no idea about the situation in two years. It seems Glasgow uni have clinical placements for neuropsychology students. To be a clinical neuropsychologist, it seems I have to apply with a master degree of clinical psychology or relevant. Although BPS offers some training courses for Forensic psychology students who have master degree but it has to be BPS accredited. I am working and am not able to attend physical class like uni in Glasgow. so I have to take distant learning. What I found is there are two or three unis offer it but their fees are sky rocket high. I can apply a distant learning course (MSc in forensic) here in Scotland but it is not accredited by BPS. This it why I am not sure which direction I should go. If I am young enough, I would have more options. I am tired now.

I could be wrong, but most masters in neuropsy are for qualified professionals only (so need a doctorate). The title clinical neuropsychologists are essentially clinical psychologist who do this additional trg. Which one were you looking at?

Yes, it is tough getting trg for forensic, and yes need it to be accredited if you want to continue on to be a practitioner. Reference the distance learning, there are blended uni options to get the first stage of forensic pathway (msc forensic psy) which you should consider. So you have to attend a block of a few days every few months. This might work around your full time role, this is what i did a few years back.

Take care,

Greg
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 4
Thank you for your advice. Very helpful
I believe you can do the neuropsych course as an academic course, but as said above, to become a 'clinical neuropsychologist' you need to be a clinical, educational or now counselling psychologist first, then have additional relevant supervised experience. I'm on my phone but check the BPS careers section for more info

Quick Reply

Latest