The Student Room Group

Is a Psychology degree really worth it?

I do psychology at alevel and I’m not bad at it (got an A in end of year 12 mocks) and I’m thinking of doing it for university (I don’t have anything else in mind to do) but I’ve done some research and people say it’s a pointless and competitive degree and to actually become a psychologist I must do a postgraduate degree which is also VERY competitive. If I did do all that my end goal would be to become a Psychotherapist (maybe). In the end, is it all worth it?
Reply 1
Original post by ldtr7x
I do psychology at alevel and I’m not bad at it (got an A in end of year 12 mocks) and I’m thinking of doing it for university (I don’t have anything else in mind to do) but I’ve done some research and people say it’s a pointless and competitive degree and to actually become a psychologist I must do a postgraduate degree which is also VERY competitive. If I did do all that my end goal would be to become a Psychotherapist (maybe). In the end, is it all worth it?

Firstly, a psychotherapist and a psychologist are 2 very different things, so worth spending some time researching this.

I was given the same advice you were given. The advice about it being pointless is a load of codswallop, it is vital if you want to be a practitioner psychologist (clinical, education, counselling) and also the same as any other degree if used for a non specific grad role.

Competition wise it is very competitive to get on the Clinical psychologist course (this is at doctoral level), but hundreds of people get on and complete each year (me included). Be realistic for sure but not let competition throw you off, would you ever want to go for something that was easy and no one else wanted also?

Job wise i love the work but it is very demanding emotionally, and definitely not everyones cup of tea. But also you can work in so many different areas and with different people, so lot of space to develop expertise and find roles that suit your abilities also.

Good luck,

Greg

Quick Reply

Latest