The Student Room Group

A-level Choices Advice

Looking for advice on A-level options. I know I definitely want to do History and Politics, and I need to choose another two out of Economics, Physics, Religious Studies, and English Lit.Any advice?
Reply 1
What do you hope to do in the future?

I think I would avoid physics a level without taking maths.
I did History, Economics and Geography. I would recommend doing Economics however be aware that economics uni courses often require maths. I really depends on what degree you want to do.
Original post by Silent Speaker
Looking for advice on A-level options. I know I definitely want to do History and Politics, and I need to choose another two out of Economics, Physics, Religious Studies, and English Lit.Any advice?

If you haven’t got a set plan for what you want to do post A level, choose the one of those that you will either enjoy the most or feel you will do best in.

If you have a set plan on what you want to do, then research the A level subject requirements at a range of providers/universities.

Do what you feel most passionate about, thats the top priority. If your considering physics its not exactly wise to do it without maths imo.

i do history politics english lit and i love the combo so much they all complement each other so well! english lit is a lot of work and independent reading but if you loved it at gcse, you’ll love it even more at a level!

Firstly you do not need to take 4 subjects. All universities make offers on 3 and the way universities look at it is that they prefer quality over quantity. A university will accept AAA rather than BBBB. By taking 4 you will be spreading your work load more thinly and risk missing a grade. The result would be that you could well end up being rejected.

As for what subject to take it really doesnt matter. Your other 2 will be on the list of preferred subjects and the 3rd can be anything you prefer. The most important thing is you enjoy it and get high grades in it

Hi! I did English literature, Sociology and History. Initially, I was going to take Politics as a fourth but my sixth form ran out of places and I was an external student so I wasn't prioritised.

I would 100% recommend English Literature, not only because it compliments your current choices very well, but also because it is a facilitating subject that opens up a lot of future options. Additionally, I'd recommend Economics. Not only is it highly valued by universities, but will also give you a break from strictly essay subjects. Economics also has an overlap with politics which is great!

The issue with RE and Physics is mainly that, from what I've heard and observed from my friends, it is extremely hard to score a high grade in. My brother is starting Year 12 this September and made the decision to drop Physics because it is the hardest to pass A Level!

Hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest