The Student Room Group

I want to become a statistician

Hi,
So my A-Level choices are english literature, maths, Further maths and history. Can I still become a statistician from a russel group uni like UCL, cambridge even if half of my choices are essay based and not really mathsy. I chose the subjects that I like but I'm not sure if they're a good combination. I'm still unsure about what I want to be and made my A-Level choices before considering being a statistician.
Original post by Remimooo
Hi,
So my A-Level choices are english literature, maths, Further maths and history. Can I still become a statistician from a russel group uni like UCL, cambridge even if half of my choices are essay based and not really mathsy. I chose the subjects that I like but I'm not sure if they're a good combination. I'm still unsure about what I want to be and made my A-Level choices before considering being a statistician.

If you look at the requirements for maths degrees, you will see the only subjects specified as required are maths and sometimes further maths.

Also a uni being in the Russell* Group or not has no bearing on undergraduate teaching or graduate prospects, as the RG is a political lobbying group masquerading as a postgraduate research consortium. There are plenty of RG unis which have decidedly poor maths programmes for various reasons. There are also some very good maths courses outside of the RG.

Anyway, your subjects are fine, just aim to do well in them.
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
If you look at the requirements for maths degrees, you will see the only subjects specified as required are maths and sometimes further maths.

Also a uni being in the Russell* Group or not has no bearing on undergraduate teaching or graduate prospects, as the RG is a political lobbying group masquerading as a postgraduate research consortium. There are plenty of RG unis which have decidedly poor maths programmes for various reasons. There are also some very good maths courses outside of the RG.

Anyway, your subjects are fine, just aim to do well in them.

Thank you so much for the advice!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending