The Student Room Group

My daughter has lost her passion in her A Level Subjects

I am in a predicament on how to handle my daugher's situation. She has always been good in Maths, scoring 51/60 in Grammar School exams though we ended sending her to private school due to work commitments. She achieved a score of 8 in both Maths & Computer Science GCSE. She went on to chose Maths, Computer Science and Business Studies in A Level. I never really pushed her into those choices. Based on performances and GCSE results I actually suggested she replace Business Studies with Physics but she refused.

Towards the end of the 1st year of A Levels she doesn't have passion for her A Level choices and her predictive UCAS grades are A* in Business Studies, B in Computing, and C in Mathematics. Although I am willing to support her in any other activity I would like to see her complete her A Levels with good grades. I have advised her to try and remain motivated in order to have good grades and she can chose uni courses with are not heavy in Maths & Computing. Any suggestion on how to handle this tricky situation? Her well-being is of paramount important to me but I don't think she'd have another opportunity to have good A Level grades.

Any suggestion on how to handle this tricky situation?
Reply 1
hey, if she lacks motivation to revise and maybe doesn't like her A-level choices as much as she did before, try to encourage her to maybe download revision apps to help her or get her tuition. Remind her that if she works hard now, the rewards will be profound in the future. Also, make sure she doesn't overburden herself and remind her to do a little bit of revision each week, to keep herself going. Help her find ways to deal with a-level stress for example after maybe doing a bit of revision, remind her to reward herself with something she enjoys doing i.e go on a walk, message a friend, eat some chocolate etc. Also, reach out to the school and see what advice they may give. If she's unsure about what she wants to do in the future or at uni, taking a gap year or making a deferred application is helpful! She can spend time in that year, finding out what she enjoys, doing work experience, taking time off to improve her well being, getting advice, etc. Hope this helps <3
Reply 2
Thank you so much. Some of your advice touched on what we have already done, and I have already arranged extra-tuition for her. We will take onboard your suggestions.
Original post by Ukongedem
I am in a predicament on how to handle my daugher's situation. She has always been good in Maths, scoring 51/60 in Grammar School exams though we ended sending her to private school due to work commitments. She achieved a score of 8 in both Maths & Computer Science GCSE. She went on to chose Maths, Computer Science and Business Studies in A Level. I never really pushed her into those choices. Based on performances and GCSE results I actually suggested she replace Business Studies with Physics but she refused.

Towards the end of the 1st year of A Levels she doesn't have passion for her A Level choices and her predictive UCAS grades are A* in Business Studies, B in Computing, and C in Mathematics. Although I am willing to support her in any other activity I would like to see her complete her A Levels with good grades. I have advised her to try and remain motivated in order to have good grades and she can chose uni courses with are not heavy in Maths & Computing. Any suggestion on how to handle this tricky situation? Her well-being is of paramount important to me but I don't think she'd have another opportunity to have good A Level grades.

I’d tell her what my mates dad told her when she decided she’d didn’t like uni very much just tell her “get through this once you’ve done them nobody can take that away from you” it seemed to help at least give her direction even if she still didn’t like university. She is very happy she is finished now. Also let the know there are many more jobs she can do with A-levels than not even if she doesn’t go to university a mate of mine quit university and then became an air stewardess (which she loves) while that not be for your daughter there are quite a few other jobs some of which pay quite well depending on her interests that might be worth considering if she doesn’t like education.
Reply 4
Original post by jonathanemptage
I’d tell her what my mates dad told her when she decided she’d didn’t like uni very much just tell her “get through this once you’ve done them nobody can take that away from you” it seemed to help at least give her direction even if she still didn’t like university. She is very happy she is finished now. Also let the know there are many more jobs she can do with A-levels than not even if she doesn’t go to university a mate of mine quit university and then became an air stewardess (which she loves) while that not be for your daughter there are quite a few other jobs some of which pay quite well depending on her interests that might be worth considering if she doesn’t like education.

Thank you!
Original post by Ukongedem

She might have a bit of burnout, and not feeling the revision and the exams. Bit by bit, break by break she will get there. My eldest is A/A, but youngest is BCC grade. Both are fine, both are/will be going to uni. If shes going to choose uni courses for 2025 intake, then definitely have unis with a wide range of grade bounderies. having all A/A* entrance grades is only going to add to the pressure. She can look online at uni choices which are down the business route possibly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending