The Student Room Group

A levels required for Accountancy based degree

Hi my son is considering doing an accountancy based degree and has chosen Maths and Economics for his two choices but unsure of the third choice. We have looked and there doesn't seem to be any specific subject requirements so just wanted to know if anyone can confirm this or are there certain subject he should be looking at. Any advice greatly appreciated

Thanks
Original post by Nilkse
Hi my son is considering doing an accountancy based degree and has chosen Maths and Economics for his two choices but unsure of the third choice. We have looked and there doesn't seem to be any specific subject requirements so just wanted to know if anyone can confirm this or are there certain subject he should be looking at. Any advice greatly appreciated

Thanks

Hi @Nilkse

Those sound like great choices to move on to accountancy later on. I would recommend to have a look at another subject which is a little different and something your son would enjoy to mix up his A Levels. Whatever he chooses will be valuable for a university application, but from experience, it's good to have a range of subjects as it keeps your schedule more varied. For example I studied Art, Drama, History and German, so I had a mix of academic and creative subjects. Maybe there's a subject your son is interested in that isn't typically related to accountancy at all? This could be a great option for variation in his studies.

Most universities require a certain amount of UCAS points or certain levels of grades, but often do not specify the subject, so I wouldn't worry about all three subject choices being related to accountancy. However, if there is a university you're already interested in, I would recommend checking the entry requirements webpage to be sure.

Hope this helps,
Emily
Student Ambassador at BCU
Reply 2
Word of advice to your son. Only do accounting if he really thinks he will enjoy it. Otherwise any other business related degree is better from a mental perspective if this is the kind if thing he enjoys.

Regards, a fellow accounting graduate.
Reply 3
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi @Nilkse

Those sound like great choices to move on to accountancy later on. I would recommend to have a look at another subject which is a little different and something your son would enjoy to mix up his A Levels. Whatever he chooses will be valuable for a university application, but from experience, it's good to have a range of subjects as it keeps your schedule more varied. For example I studied Art, Drama, History and German, so I had a mix of academic and creative subjects. Maybe there's a subject your son is interested in that isn't typically related to accountancy at all? This could be a great option for variation in his studies.

Most universities require a certain amount of UCAS points or certain levels of grades, but often do not specify the subject, so I wouldn't worry about all three subject choices being related to accountancy. However, if there is a university you're already interested in, I would recommend checking the entry requirements webpage to be sure.

Hope this helps,
Emily
Student Ambassador at BCU

Thanks so much for the reply and advice much appreciated.
Reply 4
Original post by Guru Jason
Word of advice to your son. Only do accounting if he really thinks he will enjoy it. Otherwise any other business related degree is better from a mental perspective if this is the kind if thing he enjoys.

Regards, a fellow accounting graduate.

Thanks for the advice much appreciated
Original post by Nilkse

Thanks

Currently doing 4 A-Levels (2 subjects down haha) and applied for accounting and finance! I'm studying maths economics law and psychology so I'd say that maths and econ are great, and typically for some unis the only requirements that might be needed is a specific grade in maths. Other than that I'd say other subjects like business usually go great with econ, but some unis may not have it as a preferred subject so I'd check in with that. Either way, maths and econ are a good way to go so any other 3rd subject will be fine that he knows he'll be ok in since its the top 3 that count (:
Reply 6
Realistically any 3 a levels he can score well in is fine. Maths would be a good option and leave doors open so long as he is good at it. Likewise further maths as a 4th subject would leave options open if that appeals.
Reply 7
(Original post by ajj2000)Realistically any 3 a levels he can score well in is fine. Maths would be a good option and leave doors open so long as he is good at it. Likewise further maths as a 4th subject would leave options open if that appeals.

Thanks for your reply and advice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending