The Student Room Group

How much do I need to live on in uni?

After rent how much would my general weekly costs be/how much do you guys pay? Bills/utilities are included in my rent and the building has a gym, I'm startong first year.
Reply 1
Original post by saizisi
After rent how much would my general weekly costs be/how much do you guys pay? Bills/utilities are included in my rent and the building has a gym, I'm startong first year.

Depends on how much you want to spend on food takeaways,going out, clothes etc.
everyone is different. I give my daughter 75 per week. She spends around 35 on food, 5 on toiletries/cleaning, 8 on takeaways, 10 on going out, 10 on bus fare, 5 on mobile.
Reply 2
It really varies depending on your personal needs; I had an annual bus pass, so I didn't have to consider transport costs, but you might. Do you like going on nights out? You have to factor for that too. Groceries may usually cost about £40 (including buying toiletries and cleaning supplies); then you may want money to treat yourself too. Don't forget any other bills like your phone; and things like netflix or spotify if you use those. Always try and set some money aside for emergencies if you can too. Do you have to do your laundry at the laundromat at your accommodation, cuz that will usually cost around £5 a load too.
Reply 3
Original post by SakuraSkye
It really varies depending on your personal needs; I had an annual bus pass, so I didn't have to consider transport costs, but you might. Do you like going on nights out? You have to factor for that too. Groceries may usually cost about £40 (including buying toiletries and cleaning supplies); then you may want money to treat yourself too. Don't forget any other bills like your phone; and things like netflix or spotify if you use those. Always try and set some money aside for emergencies if you can too. Do you have to do your laundry at the laundromat at your accommodation, cuz that will usually cost around £5 a load too.

This is fair, I haven't lived alone before so I have no idea how much things like groceries would be, the post was just to get a general feel. Luckily I don't have too many nights out or transport costs but laundromats are something I didn't consider so thank you !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending