The Student Room Group

Where to buy cheap kitchenware for uni?

Hi. I'm due to start uni in September and need to start preparing. I'm wondering where would be the best place to buy pans, pots etc. Preferably individually not where the best sets are as they don't tend to have the right amount of things or the right dimensions. I really need to cut costs so where would be the most affordable? Please help :smile:.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Emaref0210
Hi. I'm due to start uni in September and need to start preparing. I'm wondering where would be the best place to buy pans, pots etc. Preferably individually not where the best sets are as they don't tend to have the right amount of things or the right dimensions. I really need to cut costs so where would be the most affordable? Please help :smile:.

Wilko might be having a sale...?
B&M, Home Bargains, maybe Argos too :smile:
Wilko until it goes bust.

Most stores near to unis and student accommodation will have housewares front and and centre at this time of year.
Reply 4

ASDA - stuff my son bought is still in use 9 years on

Hello,

I would avoid specialty stores and stick to regular supermarket stores, wilko, homebargains etc. for supplies as theres no need for fancy wares in a student accommodation it’ll just get knackered or stolen by others when people are invited over (maybe that’s just me but all my glasses were taken to a party by flatmates and then they forgot to bring them back, never saw them again).

So I would say stick to cheaper house supplies!

Hope this helps,
Dom
IKEA depending on what you’re looking for, ADSA is top quality, Wilko for washing up liquid; drying rack for clothes ; kitchen sponges; pegs etc.

Don’t bother with Sainsbury’s in my view (the products including Sainsbury own brand are too expensive for what you’re getting). I can’t comment on other supermarket chains.
Reply 7
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hello,

I would avoid specialty stores and stick to regular supermarket stores, wilko, homebargains etc. for supplies as theres no need for fancy wares in a student accommodation it’ll just get knackered or stolen by others when people are invited over (maybe that’s just me but all my glasses were taken to a party by flatmates and then they forgot to bring them back, never saw them again).

So I would say stick to cheaper house supplies!

Hope this helps,
Dom

Not good publicity for Lancaster accom 😭
Wilko - run before they shut up shop for good.

Ikea/B&m/home bargains etc. Also have good value stuff.
Original post by Faisal101

It’s sound advice for anyone moving into university halls, private student housing is generally better - but it depends who you choose to live with...

Hi Emaref0210,

Congratulations on going to uni in September - I hope you have a lovely time!

For me I got bits and bobs from Dunelm and B&M. B&M was definitely cheaper - I could get bowls, plates and cutlery really cheap and they lasted me 3 years! Dunelm was good for the pots and pans but was on the more expensive side. As others have said Wilko is great for uni kitchenware (even aside from kitchen supplies it's been a lifesaver for me to get last minute things I forgot:smile:). So for me I'd probably say Wilko and B&M would be best for cheap yet good quality kitchenware. Other supermarkets like Tesco and Asda are probably good options too.

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions then please don't hesitate to ask:smile:

Bethan
University of Exeter Student Ambassador
Original post by Faisal101

Hello there,
Not true in the slightest! I wouldn't say bad publicity because my experience here was personal and unrelated to the accom itself. I had extremely bad flat mates, which I'm sure the majority of students at any uni can relate to having that one person who wouldn't clean anything. That is not the university's fault at all.

The accomodation itself in Lancaster was spectacularly well-kept and clean. The managers do a great job at making sure you get what you pay for. The university even has an approved symbol for trusted private letting agencies in the city centre!

I just had the misfortune of having absolutely appalling flat mates in my third year, which was really my own fault because the people I signed up to live with were nice people when I wasn't, you know, living with them. The accomodation itself had nothing to do with my flat mates stealing my glasses haha. :wink:

But the accomodation is actually lovely. I was just sharing an unfortunate, but honest truth. You meet all kinds of students at university.

Hope this clears that up aha,
Dom
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hello there,
Not true in the slightest! I wouldn't say bad publicity because my experience here was personal and unrelated to the accom itself. I had extremely bad flat mates, which I'm sure the majority of students at any uni can relate to having that one person who wouldn't clean anything. That is not the university's fault at all.

The accomodation itself in Lancaster was spectacularly well-kept and clean. The managers do a great job at making sure you get what you pay for. The university even has an approved symbol for trusted private letting agencies in the city centre!

I just had the misfortune of having absolutely appalling flat mates in my third year, which was really my own fault because the people I signed up to live with were nice people when I wasn't, you know, living with them. The accomodation itself had nothing to do with my flat mates stealing my glasses haha. :wink:

But the accomodation is actually lovely. I was just sharing an unfortunate, but honest truth. You meet all kinds of students at university.

Hope this clears that up aha,
Dom

Just joking my friend, I’m sure Lancaster accom is great 😊
B&M, Asda, The Range. Could try ebay too or even amazon
Reply 14
The Range and Wilko. Get a garlic press

Hey there @Emaref0210 !
Your best bet are places like IKEA, Dunelm Mill, B&M, Home Bargains, TK Maxx and even Asda Home do some really nice cheap ones. I got all of mine from Dunelm and they've lasted me ages. I would just double check about your accommodation because sometimes student halls come with induction hobs in them. This means you'd have to buy induction pans because as far as I know normal pans don't work on induction hobs. If you give your accommodation a call or email and ask what type of hob it is in the flats then they'll be sure to tell you.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
I found the cheapest stuff in Wilkos, Asda, B&M and Poundland :smile:
my top tip would be to pick stainless pans for most uses because they last for ages and you can scour off almost any damage (it will usually be the handle that dies first). £15 for a set from Ikea isn't going to break the bank. Get a non stick one for eggs and the like.

its worth an ask around relatives and local charity shops too, you never know what you might find

or you could pop up to Lancaster and pinch some (!?)

Hi,
I ended up getting all my university shopping done in Asda, the items were surprisingly cheap and they had everything I needed. I din't go in with the intention of getting anything for university but after seeing the prices I came out with everything I needed.
Faye :smile:
We been to the range, B and M, and ikea and wilko. They seem pretty reasonable. 4pack of 20 utensils in b and m for 4 quid. Baking tray from b and m we paid 2 pounds. Only thing im struggling on is the airer (clotheshorse). I cant find any cheaper than 15 for a free standing one. When I bought one for the eldest 3 years ago it was 5 pounds. Storage boxes, see if you know someone who can get some cardboard ones from work. Only buy the plastic ones for any heavy duty. Matress protector the cheapest we found was at ikea.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending