The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Near Miss Bath Econ Offer

Very nervous about results day especially after the AQA P1 and P3A sections and I'm predicting to get A*B in Maths and Physics respectively (already got an A in Economics so A*AB). I also have an A in my EPQ so the original offer A*AA got reduced to AAA. I saw on their website for the Econ course starting in 2024 that if you get an A or higher in your EPQ they reduce the A*AA offer to AAA or A*AB. Additionally I did see a youtuber 3 years ago say they accepted people who got 1 grade lower. Wondering if they are likely to still accept me?
Original post by decoratequail
Very nervous about results day especially after the AQA P1 and P3A sections and I'm predicting to get A*B in Maths and Physics respectively (already got an A in Economics so A*AB). I also have an A in my EPQ so the original offer A*AA got reduced to AAA. I saw on their website for the Econ course starting in 2024 that if you get an A or higher in your EPQ they reduce the A*AA offer to AAA or A*AB. Additionally I did see a youtuber 3 years ago say they accepted people who got 1 grade lower. Wondering if they are likely to still accept me?

I’m afraid you will have to wait till results day to get a clear answer you should hopefully be fine but I’m pretty sure I saw someone for this exact course get rejected this year because they missed their offer by 1 IB point which shows how competitive econ at bath is but fingers crossed you should be fine
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Original post by decoratequail

There really is no answer to this and what happens in 1 year is different to another. I think the person who missed by 1 IB point missed the Maths grades which is a no go for Economics.

Whether you will get accepted nobody including Bath university can say for definite as they wont yet know how many have met their offers. Basically if more than the numbers they want have met or exceeded their offers you will be rejected. If fewer than the number required have met their offers they look at nearest misses. For Economics Maths is the key issue and anyone not achieving the Maths grade will likely be rejected irrespective of their overall grades.

Universities will get your results in the next few days and will work through to see if they can accept any near misses. You will be informed on results day and all you can do is wait and hope.
Reply 3
Original post by swanseajack1
There really is no answer to this and what happens in 1 year is different to another. I think the person who missed by 1 IB point missed the Maths grades which is a no go for Economics.

Whether you will get accepted nobody including Bath university can say for definite as they wont yet know how many have met their offers. Basically if more than the numbers they want have met or exceeded their offers you will be rejected. If fewer than the number required have met their offers they look at nearest misses. For Economics Maths is the key issue and anyone not achieving the Maths grade will likely be rejected irrespective of their overall grades.

Universities will get your results in the next few days and will work through to see if they can accept any near misses. You will be informed on results day and all you can do is wait and hope.

Yeah I guess all I can do is just wait and hope for the best. Hopefully I get an A but if I do get a B in Physics at least it's the less important one compared to Maths which I think I did relatively well in so hopefully I still have a place.
Hope you got what you were hoping for

My daughter was 1 grade below offer and got rejected by Bath - she was offered AAB +A in EPQ and got ABB +A* which seems a little harsh but her insurance have accepted for Economics, Politics and IR
Original post by ChiefBrody

My daughter was 1 grade below offer and got rejected by Bath - she was offered AAB +A in EPQ and got ABB +A* which seems a little harsh but her insurance have accepted for Economics, Politics and IR

Hi so did I. I received ABB+A* in my EPQ and got rejected by bath for pol and ir however im applying for a priority remark for one of my papers because I was 2% off an A for one of my papers so I definitely feel your daughters pain
Reply 6

Hi, I'm so sorry to hear this, what course did she exactly apply to and what grades did she get in each subject?
In the end I got AAB (Maths, Econ, Phys) but I am still on hold as the university thinks I took Further Maths, so I was wondering if I still even have a chance. I never expected this outcome as I can't really go in clearing as I still technically haven't been rejected yet all the places I want are being taken.

When you chase the very top universities they are well oversubscribed. For that reason they will reject if you miss a grade It is time to move on and go to her clearing choice. When one door closes another opens. Hopefully within a few weeks of term she will forget Bath's rejection.
Reply 8

My daughter was 1 grade below offer and got rejected by Bath - she was offered AAB +A in EPQ and got ABB +A* which seems a little harsh

Economics at Bath is mega-competitive and this year there were no spaces on Econ for 'near miss' applicants.

No Uni is obliged to take any applicant if they dont meet their offer - 'harshness' has nothing to do with it and assuming that its all the fault of the Uni isnt going to help your daughter deal with this.

As above - time to accept the disappointment and look forward to starting Uni.

Quick Reply

Latest