The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

University of Bath, near missed offer for BSc in Economics

Hi everyone.

Just to share with you that I got my IB Diploma results achieving a total of 36 points (7 HL Economics/6 HL English /5 HL Maths AA), missing getting a 6 in Maths by 1 point (upper boundary 56 and I got 56!!).
Nevetheless, last night I was truly devastated to receive a rejection from Bath via UCAS portal…
Bath was my firm choice and their offer for a BSc in Economics was 36 with 7/6/6 in HL.
I really can’t think of a nearer miss and I was really expecting Bath to at least - put my application on hold till August 17th. I intend to get my Maths paper remarked although I’m not sure that Bath will hold the place for me even if I manage to upgrade Maths to a 6?
Will it help if I call Admissions office on Monday to kindly ask them to review my application? Or even book an appointment to see an Admissions officer in person?
Afterall I got a 7 in Economics (area of study) and succeeded to get the 36 total points as per their offer.
Such a pity to miss this by 1%. I’m so disappointed.
Any thoughts please? Any advice will be very appreciated.
Take care
Mike

p.s. I’m an EU student with Settled Status (Home Fees)
(edited 9 months ago)
The reality is Bath is extremely competitive for Economics and clearly feel they will meet their numbers with students who meet their grades so wont have any spaces for near misses. I think ringing them might be worthwhile although I dont expect them to change their decision. Ringing them and advising them you are getting it remarked wont do any harm. One of the issues with Economics is often the Maths grade and missing that would lead to a rejection and that is probably why they rejected you @McGinger can you comment on this.
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Original post by Piraeus_Greece
Hi everyone.

Just to share with you that I got my IB Diploma results achieving a total of 36 points (7 HL Economics/6 HL English /5 HL Maths AA), missing getting a 6 in Maths by 1 point (upper boundary 56 and I got 56!!).
Nevetheless, last night I was truly devastated to receive a rejection from Bath via UCAS portal…
Bath was my firm choice and their offer for a BSc in Economics was 36 with 7/6/6 in HL.
I really can’t think of a nearer miss and I was really expecting Bath to at least - put my application on hold till August 17th. I intend to get my Maths paper remarked although I’m not sure that Bath will hold the place for me even if I manage to upgrade Maths to a 6?
Will it help if I call Admissions office on Monday to kindly ask them to review my application? Or even book an appointment to see an Admissions officer in person?
Afterall I got a 7 in Economics (area of study) and succeeded to get the 36 total points as per their offer.
Take care
Mike

Focus on telling Bath about the remark. And make the remark a priority.
Many thanks for your replies.

Yes, I will definitely go for remarking Maths.

Fingers crossed that Bath can reconsider my application in case remarking is successful. I will ring them also this am.

Will keep you posted.

Thanks again & take care.
Best of luck
Many thanks for your replies.

Yes, I will definitely go for remarking Maths.

Fingers crossed that Bath can reconsider my application in case remarking is successful. I will ring them also this am.

Will keep you posted.

Thanks again & take care.

Do tell them that you are having the maths paper remarked though. That way they are aware that your grade may change - and so they should retain your conditional offer until you get the results of the remark confirmed.
Reply 6
Hi everyone.

Take care
Mike

Blimey. That is really harsh for such a close miss. Like you say, I would have at least expected them to hold until A-level results day.

Your only hope now though is trying to get them to hold your place in case your remark is successful. Really can’t see them changing their mind just because of you asking them to.
Reply 7
So sorry. Have you received your remark outcome yet?
Original post by BubblesBB
So sorry. Have you received your remark outcome yet?

Yes, my mark remained the same in maths (56). It was actually pretty fast. Remarking results came in less than 24 hrs.
I'm very devastated. My insurance is Exeter and they have put me on hold till August.
And all this for 1%. I dont know what to say.
Yes, my mark remained the same in maths (56). It was actually pretty fast. Remarking results came in less than 24 hrs.
I'm very devastated. My insurance is Exeter and they have put me on hold till August.
And all this for 1%. I dont know what to say.

That's unfortunate, but I doubt very much that Bath would change their position. Presumably you also missed the Exeter offer as well?
Original post by ageshallnot
That's unfortunate, but I doubt very much that Bath would change their position. Presumably you also missed the Exeter offer as well?

Just looked ae Exeter the maths requirement is a 5 so even if the overall grade is missed it wont be so key. The question will be whether they will have room for near misses and that wont be known until A level results day. It might be worth OP looking into other universities in case of rejection so they are preared for clearing
Original post by swanseajack1
Just looked ae Exeter the maths requirement is a 5 so even if the overall grade is missed it wont be so key. The question will be whether they will have room for near misses and that wont be known until A level results day. It might be worth OP looking into other universities in case of rejection so they are preared for clearing

A good point and good advice.
Yes, Exeter has put me on hold till August.
Thats a good advice @swanseajack1. Many thanks

Thanks for your reply @ageshallnot

I cant believe how unlucky Iam.

Quick Reply

Latest