The Student Room Group

Choosing the right degree

So I'm 19 years old and I've recently applied to uni on my gap year. I applied for a few different courses to keep my options open but now it's my time to choose what subject I really want to pursue. I'm very stuck between choosing a degree in Classical Studies or a Joint Honours in Art and English Literature. I have always been a very creative person and I don't want to lose that side of me and I'm feeling so conflicted about what I should choose. I like the sound of an Art and English Lit degree but I hate the location of the University. There are pros and cons to both of my choices and I need to decide where I'm going soon.Any advice you may have would be great. Tysm :smile:
Original post by judestars
So I'm 19 years old and I've recently applied to uni on my gap year. I applied for a few different courses to keep my options open but now it's my time to choose what subject I really want to pursue. I'm very stuck between choosing a degree in Classical Studies or a Joint Honours in Art and English Literature. I have always been a very creative person and I don't want to lose that side of me and I'm feeling so conflicted about what I should choose. I like the sound of an Art and English Lit degree but I hate the location of the University. There are pros and cons to both of my choices and I need to decide where I'm going soon.Any advice you may have would be great. Tysm :smile:

It's tricky to choose when you have many passions. I just want to point out that you can go study something else and still keep your creative side going. That's what I do anyway! I'm studying psychology but I love, I adore, I kill for music... and I still pursue music in my spare time! :smile:
Original post by judestars

@judestars

It might be an idea to do Classical Studies, as it might be difficult to fully embrace Art and English Lit to the level that you would like as a joint degree. It might be difficult to split your time, whereas if you are just doing Classical Studies you can focus on one thing. It may also be less demanding than two creative subjects which require creative thinking. (You need an interest in Classical Studies but don't necessarily need to be inspired to get work done!)

If you want to maintain your art or creative writing skills, you could join art and writing societies at your university where you could meet creative people, have a way of de-stressing, and have something fun to look forward to during the week.

Finally, you might also like to think about the kind of career you envisage yourself having after university. This may help you decide which degree you want to pursue.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield
As above - you dont have to 'do a degree' to continue with Art, and if you really are this anti the Uni then its probably not somewhere you are going to be happy.
Reply 4
Does the uni at which you have applied for classical studies also do a more Art oriented course which they might let you transfer onto?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending